The Linux Foundation protects Linux by providing legal services and sponsoring key Linux developers so they can remain independent and focus full time on improving Linux. Our legal experts provide a much-needed resource for protection and education on legal issues facing Linux.
Key Linux Protection activities include:
- Hosting and sponsoring key kernel developers, like Linux creator Linus Torvalds, so they can maintain independence while working full time to improve Linux
- Managing the Linux trademark
- Sponsoring other technical fellowships for much needed services not currently met by the Linux community or industry, such as kernel documentation
- Sponsoring an Open Source Developer Fund for travel related expenses not paid for my companies or indivuals
- Fostering industry-wide legal partnering