LSB SI 4.0
Plans from the November 2007 LSB F2F
The following is taken verbatim, with notes, from the LSB_F2F_November_2007 meeting. It can be thought of as both a plan for the LSB SI in the 4.0 time-frame as well as a wish-list of what we would like to see from the LSB SI in 4.0.
- The LSB SI should be targeted more towards ISVs.
- ISVs tend to require more hand-holding with chroots and UML images. A more ideal LSB SI would include several deployment technologies in addition to chroots and virtual images.
1) Deployment technologies
- Live CD
- Virtualized (VMWare, VirtualBox, UML, etc.)
- installable distro
- installable chroot with GUI
2) Convertible to a build environment
3) Test environment included or available as add-on (ATK)
4) LSB shell environment
- It would be really nice to have a downloadable package which contained the chroot and a GUI means to access it. It would also be really nice if it could do everything the normal installable LSB SI environment could do.
5) Target deliverables to distros
- Include RPM database correctly populated (3.2 and previous it was not)
6) Support all LSB architectures
- Include strict LSB packages
- Select packages that may be needed
- X server
- Trial use
- Which will require Perl/Python, likely more than in LSB 3.2