Linux Foundation Wiki

project collaboration site

User Tools

Site Tools


chaoss:metrics:minutes:2017-10-03-meeting

Meeting Minutes 2017-10-03

Start: 1pm CT; End: 2pm CT.

Attendees on Call

  • Alexander Serebrenik
  • David Wheeler
  • Dniel Izquierdo
  • Georg Link
  • Gil Yehuda
  • Ildiko Vancsa
  • Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona
  • Kevin Lumbard
  • Lawrence Hecht
  • Manrique
  • Matt Germonprez
  • Ray Paik
  • Ruth Suehle
  • Sean Goggins
  • Thanh Ha

IRC Meeting Minutes

This is the first meeting where we used IRC alongside the conferencing call to capture meeting minutes. Suggestions for improvements are welcome.

#chaoss-community: CHAOSS Metrics monthly meeting

Meeting started by rpaik at 18:05:18 UTC. The full logs are below in Section IRC Log.

Meeting summary

  • coordination between metrics & software committees (rpaik, 18:05:58)
  • rpaik asks what should be the artifact from metrics that will be useful for the software committee? (rpaik, 18:08:07)
  • while transitioning the information from wiki to repo, it's probably unclear for outsiders on how to get engaged (rpaik, 18:13:49)
  • Jesus suggests mapping metrics (e.g. code review) with existing software implementations (rpaik, 18:22:27)
  • suggestion for dizquierdo to add D&I metrics to the Metric GitHub (rpaik, 18:29:31)
  • ildikov suggests documenting how new contributors can participate in CHAOSS (rpaik, 18:33:34)
  • LINK: https://spdx.org/ (aserebrenik, 18:35:21)
  • code of conduct (rpaik, 18:36:25)
  • glink_ summarizes the code of conduct (CoC) discussion (rpaik, 18:37:03)
  • discussion on forming a work group to propose a CoC for CHAOSS (rpaik, 18:38:07)
  • discussion on who should be responsible for enforcing the CoC (rpaik, 18:39:28)
  • suggestion on iterating over GitHub (rpaik, 18:41:52)
  • LINK: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/chaoss/events updated schedule on the events wiki (rpaik, 18:53:15)
  • suggestion to do an overview presentation (1 hour) + software committee (2 hours) + metrics committee (1 hour) + etc. (rpaik, 18:54:21)
  • demos also a possibility (rpaik, 18:55:34)

Meeting ended at 19:02:13 UTC.

People participated in IRC (lines said)

  • glink_ (48)
  • rpaik (17)
  • aserebrenik (10)
  • collabot (5)
  • jsmanrique (2)
  • ildikov (1)

Generated by MeetBot_ 0.1.4

IRC Log

  18:05:18 <rpaik> #startmeeting CHAOSS Metrics monthly meeting
  18:05:18 <collabot> Meeting started Tue Oct  3 18:05:18 2017 UTC.  The chair is rpaik. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
  18:05:18 <collabot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
  18:05:18 <collabot> The meeting name has been set to 'chaoss_metrics_monthly_meeting'
  18:05:34 <rpaik> #chair glink_
  18:05:35 <collabot> Current chairs: glink_ rpaik
  18:05:58 <rpaik> #topic coordination between metrics & software committees
  18:06:03 <glink_> Topic 1) How do we coordinate between the committees of the CHAOSS community
  18:06:40 <glink_> How can we draw the committees together in a productive manner?
  18:07:22 <glink_> What should the output of the metrics committee be that would be helpful to the software committee?
  18:08:07 <rpaik> #info rpaik asks what should be the artifact from metrics that will be useful for the software committee?
  18:08:33 <glink_> The metrics in the Metrics GitHub repo currently describe examples for how to implement them.
  18:09:36 <jsmanrique> hi!
  18:09:48 <glink_> We had metrics on the wiki and have been moving them to the GitHub/chaoss/metrics repo
  18:09:55 <glink_> Will the wiki go away?
  18:10:16 <glink_> No, we can use the wiki for onboarding information and other stable information about the community.
  18:12:23 <glink_> <The discussion moves to the D&I discussion on the mailing list>
  18:13:03 <glink_> Emma and her D&I team had a fairly mature project and a question is how we can bring in a project like that and host it here?
  18:13:49 <rpaik> #info while transitioning the information from wiki to repo, it's probably unclear for outsiders on how to get engaged
  18:14:20 <glink_> What we might need is a definition of what output from the metrics committee is expected to direct the work and fuel the collaboration with the software committee.
  18:15:18 <glink_> A danger we may face if software and metrics committee don't work well together is that their work diverges.
  18:15:18 <aserebrenik> Jesus is concerned that the metrics committee prefers the metrics to be implementation-agnostic which makes it more difficult to implement them.
  18:17:02 <glink_> One approach is for the software to implement ideas from the metrics community and bring back findings to inform future metrics definitions.
  18:17:27 <glink_> Jesus sees an issue with a mismatch between the metrics that are currently implemented in the software and the metrics defined by the metrics committee
  18:18:42 <glink_> Ildiko asks how we could keep metrics implementation agnostic. For example defining a metric based on pull-requests, then the implementation assumes to use GitHub as a data source only. How can a metric be implementation agnostic to work across the open source ecosystem.
  18:18:45 <glink_> ?
  18:20:07 <glink_> Matt: Two agnosticisms. 1) agnostic to the source of the data. {danger with the size of GitHub is that the language might resolve around that - we maybe should clean up the repository} 2) agnostic to the software a metric is implemented in.
  18:21:55 <glink_> Maybe we should have a mapping exercise to identify which metrics are already implemented. What metrics are new?
  18:22:27 <rpaik> #info Jesus suggests mapping metrics (e.g. code review) with existing software implementations
  18:24:14 <aserebrenik> Lawrence asks how to define the basic demographics: how to define a person, their gender etc?
  18:24:47 <glink_> David Wheeler suggests that we can get some data from CII Badge website for some communities, if they pursue a badge
  18:26:58 <aserebrenik> @dizquierdo has 20-25 metrics to measure gender diversity. We also have several gender-related metrics in our papers.
  18:26:58 <collabot> aserebrenik: Error: "dizquierdo" is not a valid command.
  18:27:16 <aserebrenik> dizquierdo has 20-25 metrics to measure gender diversity. We also have several gender-related metrics in our papers.
  18:27:48 <glink_> Daniel clarifies asks how to proceed.
  18:28:47 <glink_> We already have the repository for the metrics
  18:28:57 <glink_> Daniel asks how to link the software with the metric definitions.
  18:29:31 <rpaik> #info suggestion for dizquierdo to add D&I metrics to the Metric GitHub
  18:30:00 <glink_> Georg thinks the way GHdata links software and metrics could be way to do it: Provide a link within the software to the metric definition.
  18:31:06 <glink_> Matt prefers to have focused discussions on metrics and software and not spread thin with a third discussion.
  18:32:06 <glink_> Daniel shares and example of how work packages, e.g. D&I, can start in the metrics committee, and then at some point it moves to the software committee. The knowledge needs to flow in both ways.
  18:33:12 <aserebrenik> ildikov stresses importance of documenting the discussions
  18:33:24 <aserebrenik> e.g. for the purpose of onboarding
  18:33:34 <rpaik> #info ildikov suggests documenting how new contributors can participate in CHAOSS
  18:34:08 <glink_> Sean, Matt, and Daniel agree that we should document the process inside CHAOSS.
  18:34:19 <glink_> Maybe move the discussion to the Governance Board meeting.
  18:34:59 <glink_> Matt shares the idea of bakeoffs from the SPDX community which develops a standard and during the bakeoff tooling implementations are compared and experience shared.
  18:35:21 <aserebrenik> https://spdx.org/
  18:36:25 <rpaik> #topic code of conduct
  18:37:03 <rpaik> #info glink_ summarizes the code of conduct (CoC) discussion
  18:37:47 <glink_> How to move forward?
  18:37:56 <glink_> Have a committee or discuss in the whole community
  18:38:07 <rpaik> #info discussion on forming a work group to propose a CoC for CHAOSS
  18:38:45 <glink_> Alexander's post provides a good checklist for our CoC
  18:39:28 <rpaik> #info discussion on who should be responsible for enforcing the CoC
  18:40:44 <aserebrenik> This checklist comes from Geek Feminism and is based on a survey of ~20 codes of conduct (NB more recent ones have not been surveyed).
  18:41:47 <glink_> The discussion goes to the next steps
  18:41:52 <rpaik> #info suggestion on iterating over GitHub
  18:42:18 <glink_> Agreemend seems to exist that the Board will approve it, but the community will iterate to develop it
  18:42:32 <glink_> The discussion could occur on the mailing list
  18:42:45 <glink_> the document could live on the GitHub and get worked on there
  18:43:05 <glink_> One suggestion shared by a few members is to have a short CoC, one short page
  18:43:17 <glink_> "not solve a problem, before we have a problem"
  18:43:32 <aserebrenik> ildikov suggests to keep the CoC short and simple
  18:45:59 <aserebrenik> Matt suggests that glink_ collects the relevant codes of conduct, and starts to develop a code of conduct for CHAOSS.
  18:48:00 <glink_> Georg will create a new repository on GitHub for governance of the full CHAOSS community
  18:49:32 <glink_> David Wheeler asks for participants for the CII census 2.0 with a quick 2week turn-around. Suggestions for metrics and other contributions are welcome offline
  18:50:48 <glink_> David Wheeler will send dwheeler@ida.org
  18:51:06 <glink_> David will post to the mailing list
  18:51:52 <glink_> Next Topic: OSS Europe in Prague
  18:52:10 <glink_> We shifted the times and got a larger room
  18:52:50 <glink_> Ray says: After kicking off the metrics committee at L.A., we could maybe focus on the software committee in Europe.
  18:52:56 <glink_> We have 5 hours
  18:53:15 <rpaik> #link https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/chaoss/events updated schedule on the events wiki
  18:54:21 <rpaik> #info suggestion to do an overview presentation (1 hour) + software committee (2 hours) + metrics committee (1 hour) + etc.
  18:55:34 <rpaik> #info demos also a possibility
  18:59:17 <glink_> The meeting is coming to a close
  18:59:39 <glink_> We did not get to the D&I and will continue with that on the Hangouts call next.
  18:59:49 * jsmanrique will be there ;-)
  19:00:01 * ildikov will be there too :)
  19:00:02 <glink_> Meeting closed
  19:00:26 <glink_> Hangout Meeting starts
  19:02:13 <rpaik> #endmeeting
chaoss/metrics/minutes/2017-10-03-meeting.txt · Last modified: 2017/11/08 00:32 by GeorgLink