Accessibility/News/2010/05/04/AT-SPI2 release 0.3.1
AT-SPI2 0.3.1 Released
release date: 2010-05-03
What is AT-SPI2?
AT-SPI2 is a D-Bus based accessibility framework. It defines a D-Bus protocol for providing and accessing application accessibility information. The project includes a library for bridging the D-Bus protocol to the ATK API, allowing Gtk based applications to be made accessible. It also contains a client (AT) side library in Python.
AT-SPI2 0.3.1 is now available for download at:
AT-SPI2 0.3.1 Release Notes
This is a development release of AT-SPI2, it has some unfinished features.
A list of work required before the full release can be found at:
Unlike the previous few AT-SPI2 releases, this release installs to the standard AT-SPI locations. The old behavior of relocating to co-exist with the CORBA-based AT-SPI can still be enabled by passing '--enable-relocate' to configure. It is recommended that users configure with
--enable-relocate when packaging AT-SPI2 on distributions running stable releases of GNOME, so as to avoid conflits with eisting CORBA AT-SPI packages.
This release fixes numerous bugs and should generally be much more usable than prior releases.
What's changed in AT-SPI2 0.3.1
getAccessibleAtPoint, and possibly others.
- Update an accessible's StateSet when a StateChanged signal is received.
- Properly fetch children of
MANAGES_DESCENDANTSobjects (i.e., do not use cache)
- The desktop's role is now set to
pyexecdir as a base rather than <code>pythondir.
- Set an application's Id when registering it.
- Added a gconf schema.
- org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.GetAll now works rather then crashing.
- The position, size, and extents of an AtkSocket are now fetched from the corresponding AtkPlug.
- An application is no longer registered if its root is an AtkPlug.
- Fix BGO#538680 - Count ignored in GetMatchesTo
- Fix FDO#27626 - deadlock when registering an application.
- Fix a problem with various hyperlink methods.
- Fix for an AtkPlug sometimes not appearing in the hierarchy.
- Fix a crash if the registry returns an unexpected message while embedding.
- Remove libxml2 dependency since libxml2 is no longer used.
- Fix handling of MATCH_ANY for a stateset in a collection match rule.
Where can I get more information about AT-SPI2?
The AT-SPI project wiki is available at:
A page of work required before a full release and the project plan can be found at: http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/BonoboDeprecation
How can I contribute to AT-SPI2?
We are actively seeking contributors to help us make this the standard accessibility framework for Gnome. We need help testing with Gnome accessibility technologies, improving performance, and generally tying up loose ends. The above-referenced page contains a list of known issues that should be fixed.
To participate in AT-SPI2 developement, you can:
- join the firstname.lastname@example.org emailing list
- IRC channel #a11y on irc://irc.gimpnet.net/
Development repositories for AT-SPI2 can be found at: