Carrier Grade Linux
About Carrier Grade Linux (CGL)
The CGL workgroup has two main functions. First, interface with network equipment providers and carriers to gather requirements and produce specifications that Linux distribution vendors can implement. Second, to take unimplemented requirements and foster development projects that will meet these requirements and assist in their upstream integration.
The list of Linux distributions and platforms that have been registered against the CGL specification
The 4.0 requirements are all published as PDF documents in the Carrier Grade Linux Specifications - Released Specifications section. Registrations can be done against the current specification, 4.0, by following the link below.
CGL 4.0 Registration
As of Friday, June 29, 2007 it is possible for Linux vendors to register their products for compliance with Version 4.0 of the Carrier Grade Linux (CGL) Requirements Definition Documents. Linux vendors wishing to register should download the registration template (ots format) and fill out the template based on the CGL Registration Process (pdf). Vendors will post their registration results on the Registration Wiki.
In The Press
The working group used the CGL 4.0 requirements as a starting point and split them into requirements that already exist in some mature open source project and requirements that do no[t] exist today.
Individually, the Linux Foundation Carrier Grade Linux Work Group is working on the next version of our specification. The goal this time around is to create a specification that will lead, over a reasonable amount of time, to actual code.--Dan Cauchy, Chairman of Carrier Grade Linux Workgroup
Carrier Grade Linux Specifications
- CGL Requirements Definition Overview - V4.0
- CGL Availability Requirements Definition - V4.0
- CGL Clustering Requirements Definition - V4.0
- CGL Servicability Requirements Definition - V4.0
- CGL Performance Requirements Definition - V4.0
- CGL Standards Requirements Defnition - V4.0
- CGL Hardware Requirements Defnition - V4.0
- CGL Security Requirements Defnition - V4.0
- lf_carrier mailing list - General discussion about Carrier Grade Linux issues.
- lf_cgl_gaps mailing list - Mailing list specifically dedicated to new CGL gaps proposals and discussion.
- lf_cgl_registration mailing list - Mailing list for discussion of new CGL registrations.
Carrier Grade Linux conference calls are announced on the lf_carrier mailing list. For conference call information join the mailing list for next scheduled call.
- The CGL Workgroup is currently meeting in Shenzhen and Hong Kong. The next face-to-face meeting is tentatively scheduled for January 21-22, 2009. Details TBD.