The Linux Foundation

 
Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20090210

From The Linux Foundation

Revision as of 16:18, 11 February 2009 by Oedipus (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ←Older revision | view current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)

Open A11y Working Group Conference Call (10 February 2009)

Note: These minutes have not yet been finalized.

Contents


Preliminary Items

Participants

  • Janina Sajka (JS/chair)
    • Andrés G. Aragoneses (AA/Novell)
    • Stew Benedict (SB)
    • Pete Brunet (PB)
    • Brad Taylor (BT) (Novell)
    • Gregory J. Rosmaita (GJR/scribe)
    • Will Walker (WW)
      • regrets: none logged


For Reference



Approval of Past Minutes



Meeting Minutes

Note: These minutes have not yet been finalized.

Topic 1: Update From the Chair

JS: quick status on relicensing and AIA issues -- being discussed with Karen Copenhaver -- have meeting scheduled for tomorrow (11 February 2009) and Karen should be on that call; need to contact Sun Microsystems to see if can relicense IAccessible2; KarenC has been ill recently, hence the delay; will ping her again

JS: migration to new web framework - Gregory?

scribe's note: at this point, Willie Walker (WW) joined the telecon; discussion of the Linux Foundation's new beta version of it's Content Mangement System (CMS) can be found under the "Web Updates" heading.




Topic 2: Grant Funding Proposal for Face-to-Face Meeting

JS: quick status on funding grant proposal: I do not have a draft ready to share; have made progress on it, and hope to have it to group in advance of next weeks' Open A11y meeting -- hopefully will be able to post to the main list on Friday

JS: travel funding proposal's intent is to get as many people as necessary to GUADEC/Akademy2009, where Open A11y plans on holding a face to face meeting, as discussed in prior meetings




Topic 3: SIG Updates

JS: anything to report or discuss on the AT-SPI front?

WW: need to figure out what Mark's plan is -- my understanding is he will stop work on a full AT-SPI port and focus on accessibility implementation framework; need to coordinate completion or implementation of AT-SPI so there is no lag or fall-off in the momentum we are attempting to build

JS: my concern is need to find someone to step into Mark's shoes; then the question becomes, "how to fund?", but that is a another question for another time;

WW: while Mark is still there, it would be good to have an overlap between AT-SPI maintainers

WW: started ball rolling and turning, but reached end of resources, so appreciate any suggestions

JS: will send that email to Mark

ACTION: JS - email Mark Doffman about transitioning work on AT-SPI to a third party

scribe's note: Will Walker clarified the situation with regards to AT-SPI maintenance in a post to the list on 2009-02-11



Topic 4: Website Update

Linux Foundation Site Redesign

Linux Foundation's New Content Management System (CMS) Interface

  • David Ames' announcement of the new content management system
    • GJR notes and caveats:
      • WARNING: You will receive an invalid site certificate error when you attempt to access the beta version of the Linux Foundation's new CMS because the certificate is for linuxfoundation.org and not beta.linuxfoundation.org
      • there is a "Skip to Navigation" link, but not a "Skip to Main Conents" link
      • there are some un-alt-texted graphics on the LF's portal page
      • the back-end needs XHTML Roles and ARIA markup to increase accessibility and put the LF site on the cutting edge of what assistive technologies can do with landmarks, roles and ARIA
  • Open Accessibility's portal front page beta

Discussion of the Beta CMS

WW: is the beta ARIA-enabled? support for XHTML Role Module?

GJR: not yet; coordinating with LF's IT team as we speak via IRC

ACTION: GJR - work with LF's IT team to ARIA-enable and adding role support to beta CMS drupal backend

GJR: will use my dev.linuxfoundation.org account to mount mock-ups and drafts; please let me know what you think of the new interface as it currently is or email the webteam@linuxfoundation.org directly to report any problems -- if you do report a problem directly to the webteam@linuxfoundation.org, please be sure to carbon-copy the accessibility list.

WW: asked about Role support because not widely supported, but then that is the problem: it's a chicken and egg question

GJR: and Open A11y and the LF are the perfect real-life incubator

ACTION: GJR - send info about Role Module to list

JS: another bit of pertinent news: a task force is being formed between PF/WAI and the HTML Working Group being formed to ensure that ARIA integrated in and integratable into HTML5; chair will probably Cynthia Shelly of Microsoft; editor not yet made official



New Business


Identify Topics for the 17 February 2009 Teleconference

  • Discussion of Janina's Grant Proposal
  • IPR Issues Update


Wrap Up

Summary of New Action Items

  • ACTION: GJR - work with LF's IT team to ARIA-enable and adding role support to beta CMS drupal backend
  • ACTION: GJR - send info about XHTML Role Module to list
  • ACTION: JS - email Mark Doffman about transitioning work on AT-SPI to a third party</p></html>

Summary of Continued Action Items

Summary of Resolutions




[Article] [Discussion] [View source] [History]