The Linux Foundation

 
Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20080902

From The Linux Foundation

Revision as of 17:23, 23 September 2008 by Janina (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ←Older revision | view current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)

Open A11y Working Group Conference Call (2 September 2008)

Contents


Participants

  • Janina Sajka (JS/chair)
    • Stew Benedict (SB)
    • Pete Brunet (PB)
    • Olaf Schmidt (OS)
    • Gregory J. Rosmaita (GJR/scribe)
    • Will Walker (WW)
      • regrets: none yet logged

JS: only half of our usual participants; no one from Novell or CodeThink, so we will postpone the D-Bus conversation (save for the web site update aspect) until our next meeting

For Reference



Preliminary Items

Approval of Past Minutes

Action Items Status Review



Meeting Minutes

Topic 1: Approval of IAccessible2, version 1.0.2

For Reference: IAccessible2 RFC concluded 30 June 2008; fielded a few comments; Pete Brunet and the IAccessible2 SIG have reviewed the comments, made slight changes, and have frozen the specification in preparation for the entire Open A11y Workgoup's approval. Once Workgroup approval has been obtained, IAccessible2, version 1.0.2 will be forwarded to The Linux Foundation's board for approval by our umbrella organization.

IAccessible2, version 1.0.2 (RFC version):
IAccessible2, RFC version 1.0.2 in HTML
IAccessible2, RFC version 1.0.2 as IDL
Errata for IAccessible 2, version 1.0.2


JS: IAccessibl2, version 1.0.2

JS: Will, has Peter Korn provided any feedback?

WW: not yet had time to review;

WW: question for PeteB -- are you going to go through IAccessible2 to compare with AT-SPI?

PB: not since a year ago -- Aaron Leventhal did review; no major changes

JS: do we want to take an additional week for review?

WW: I can't vote on it -- Peter Korn the Sun rep for that; set a deadline

PB: understand PeteK being busy

PB: would appreciate feedback from PeteK -- shall we set a due date for IAccessible2 review?

JS: will call PeterK directly

WW: notify him on-list that vote was postponed pending his review

JS: will do -- want to make sure IAccessible2 properly vetted, but also want to move forward

ACTION: JS - ping Peter Korn and with deadline for IAccesible2 voting (16 September 2008)



Topic 2: D-Bus Port Update

For Reference:




Topic 3: SIG Updates


Reviving the AT-SPI SIG


AT-SPI Resources in Search of a Maintainer:



Topic 4: Website Update

Documents in Search of A Maintainer

  • Comparison of Accessibility and DOM APIs
    • A11y and DOM API Comparison wiki page
      • GJR is willing to actively maintain and edit the A11y and DOM API Comparisons document, but needs contributors to provide specific API info, as did Bill Haneman for AT-SPI in the previous draft (which should be reviewed by those currently working on AT-SPI)
        • candidate contributors:
          • IAccessible2 information: Pete Brunet
          • UIAutomation information: Larry Weiss (pending AIA collaboration)
          • ARIA information: Gregory J. Rosmaita
          • need contributors for WebKit (Mac Accessibility API)




New Business

GNOME Summit 2008 (Boston)

WW: GNOME 2008 Summit begins October 13 in Boston

JS: a lot of us likely to be there: RobT, MikeG, Mark, Janina

WW: venue: Boston - MIT Sloane School of Business

WW: inviting Mark, Mike and Rob to present their work

GJR: please provide info for Open A11y News

WW: will do when ready

JS: will there be an opportunity to discuss GDM issues? would love to display some of the problems, as i believe some could be dealt with quickly

WW: Fedora and RedHat rewriting GDM; not apparently going to fix outstanding bugs, but overhaul it with accessibility as part of design; will have to wait until new stuff is out to log bugs if necessary

WW: RedHat in Boston area, so trying to get some representatives at GNOME Summit 2008

JS: conversation on resolution or common approaches?

JS: biggest hole is accessible log in

WW: works well on Ubuntu and Solaris; works fairly well on Open Suse; need to ascertain what others are doing that is blocking speaking log-in

JS: mixed environment: consoles and GUI - Pulse Audio not friendly to consoles or to accessible GUI login; workaround to start pulse at login

JS: like to discuss cleanup approaches to audio environment; functionally a bit of a mess; if use pulse, running as daemon, might be universal solution

WW: not solveable at GNOME level; can influence, but someone needs to work on Pulse audio directly; Solaris doesn't use pulse; linux-platform issue -- facillitating a common solution is the key

JS: common place to address this?

WW: Linux World conference?

JS: there just was one in August

JS: collaborative Linux Foundation summit next spring could be a target; general move to PulseAudio as audio management environment

WW: Luke Yelavich at Ubuntu has long been a champion of PulseAudio, would like to know what his feelings are now -- at forefront of integrating and testing audio

JS: LukeY is a speakup user and console user, so should be up-to-speed on those issues; he's also a signatory of SOI

WW: someone has to figure this out -- if we can facillitate, we should

JS: can talk it up at GNOME 2008 in Boston

WW: great

JS: perhaps can spark something in Boston


Identify Topics for 16 September 2008 Teleconference

JS: other issues?

JS: meet next week? or in 2 weeks?

WW: 2 weeks - should be able to get PeteK's IAccessible review by then

RESOLVED: The next Open A11y call will be held on 16 September 2008


Wrap Up

Summary of New Action Items

  • ACTION: JS - ping Peter Korn and with deadline for IAccesible2 voting (16 September 2008)


Summary of Continued Action Items

  • ACTION: GJR - recontact Larry Weiss and carbon-copy AIA people - contribute to Accessibility & DOM API Comparisons under creative commons license
  • ACTION: GJR & WW - co-ordinate port of ATK and AT-SPI info from live.gnome.org to to Open A11y space
    • status: in progress


Summary of Resolutions

  • RESOLVED: The next Open A11y call will be held on 16 September 2008





[Article] [Discussion] [View source] [History]