The Linux Foundation

 
Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20080729

From The Linux Foundation

Revision as of 22:15, 19 August 2008 by Oedipus (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ←Older revision | view current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)

Open A11y Working Group Conference Call (29 July 2008)

Contents


Participants

  • Janina Sajka (JS/chair)
    • Stew Benedict (SB)
    • David Bolter (DB)
    • Pete Brunet (PB)
    • Mike Gorse (MG)
    • Gregory J. Rosmaita (GJR/scribe)
    • Willie Walker (WW)
      • regrets: none logged

For Reference



Preliminary Items

Approval of Past Minutes



Meeting Minutes

Note: These minutes have not yet been finalized.

Topic 1: DBus Port Updates, Documentation & News

For Reference:




Topic 2: Continued Review of Statement on Desktop Interoperability (SOI)

Janina's Proposed Addendum to Open A11y Statement on Desktop Interoperability (SOI)

Addendum
29 July 2008

Functioning today as the Open A11y Workgroup in the Linux Foundation, We offer this brief update to reaffirm the vision and commitment expressed in our Statement On Desktop Accessibility Development.

We are pleased to note that we are moving forward toward making our expressed commitment a daily reality for persons who require accessibility support in their computing environments. In particular a generous grant from the Mozilla Foundation enabled CodeThink to provide our Workgroup with an engineering study that demonstrated the practicality of moving AT-SPI from Corba to Dbus. Our agreement to move AT-SPI to Dbus will remove a major impediment to the realization of our vision. We are greatly pleased, therefore, that funding from Nokia Corporation is enabling CodeThink to effect this transition, which is expected to be ready for testing during 2009. Additional details can be found on our Dbus Wiki, located at:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/ATK/AT-SPI/AT-SPI_on_D-Bus

JS: no problem with paragraph addendum on SOI

MG: standardizing interfaces sounds ambiguous - where standardization? clarification?

JS: intended as high-level statement

MG: not sure if need more precision

MG: January 2005 - standard interfaces -

JS: not changing that part of it; addendum only to reassert support, pointer to DBus wiki

JS: objections to addendum?

RESOLVED: addendum will be added

GJR: signatures - put in older ones and add new ones?

JS: leave open for new signatories?

GJR: have to build a new PHP file

RESOLVED: SOI will be open to new signatories

  • ACTION: GJR mount revised version of SOI
  • ACTION: GJR make new PHP form for additional signatures after proposing text to list
  • ACTION GJR: grok a11y web space for "DBus" and universally replace with "D-Bus"



Topic 3: SIG Updates

IAccessible2 Status Report

IAccessible2 RFC concluded 30 June 2008; fielded a few comments; PeteB and IA2 SIG in process of closing spec down - should expect to have formal voting period on IA2 specification fairly soon.

IAccessible2, version 1.0.2 (RFC version):
IAccessible2, RFC version 1.0.2 in HTML
IAccessible2, RFC version 1.0.2 as IDL

PB: 1 issue which will be discussed today at IAccessible2 call, then need to patch doxygen (just fixed bug) and regenerate the documentation

PB: will announce on this list when ready to review

JS: will take at least a week for internal review

JS: 12 August 2008 should be able to vote to send to LF board


Reviving the AT-SPI SIG

GJR: need someone to actively monitor the atspi emailing list so that inquiries such as that logged at [1] can be fielded expeditiously so we can benefit from community feedback and gain a reputation as a "responsive" organization

GJR: atspi list attracting new participants

JS: still trying to get regularly scheduled conference time for atspi SIG

PB: who will chair?

JS: limited D-Bus conversation initial request - may not need a chair; but when beyond DBus dive, need to find a SIG leader

WW: some discussion about adding spelling, revisions, grammar, etc. -- need to figure out best way to manage and move forward

JS: was going to address after IAccessible2 goes to the Linux Foundation board

WW: CodeThink folks might be willing to chair temporarily for D-Bus, of Li Wong from Beijing office; reluctant to volunteer -- have to manage time

JS: let us keep that in mind

AT-SPI Resources in Search of a Maintainer:



Topic 4: Website Update

Home Page Reformat Options

Documents in Search of A Maintainer

WW: GNOME outreach program currently undergoing a major overhaul; haven't started programmers section yet; good timing; should try and do search and destroy on stuff that is out there -- either destroy or point to static repository;

GJR: drop WW an email which WW will send to Sean McCans and Vincent Alexander, as well as to GJR

WW: you mentioned problem with doxygen

GJR: currently can control the wrapper (template) but not the formatting of the content; would like to generate XML as XHTML 1.0 Strict (at least) but there isn't a means of defining an XSLT file using doxygen's XML features; output of HTML is very crude markup, with no possibility of adding acronym expansions, headers/id and scope for TABLE, etc.; TABLE used extensively to present information in doxygen created HTML files; on the other hand, i could build an RDF file for the documentation, but would prefer -- at this point -- not to go down that road yet

WW: automatically generating content from IDL would be best

JS: like to address these issues with doxygen itself - is widely used and would behove a lot of users




New Business

Face to Face Opportunity in 2009

JS: KDE's Akademy 2009 and Guadec are being held next year at the same place (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria) and same time (beginning 3 July 2009) -- ideal time-frame for an Open A11y face to face meeting in Los Palmas; shall we shoot for that?

scribe's note: general agreement that this is a good idea and a good target to aim towards

Identify Topics for 5 August 2008 Teleconference

JS: other brief topics?


Wrap Up

Summary of New Action Items

  • ACTION: GJR mount revised version of SOI
  • ACTION: GJR make new PHP form for additional signatures after proposing text to list
  • ACTION GJR: grok a11y web space for "DBus" and universally replace with "D-Bus"

Summary of Resolutions

  • RESOLVED: addendum will be added to SOI
  • RESOLVED: SOI will be open to new signatories





[Article] [Discussion] [View source] [History]