Minutes of the Open A11y Expert Handlers SIG Call 2009/02/09
- 1 Minutes of the Open A11y Expert Handlers SIG Call 2009/02/09
- Neil Soiffer (NS/chair)
- Janina Sajka (JS)
- Pete Brunet (PB)
- Jamie Teh (JT)
- Regrets: Gregory J. Rosmaita, Alexander Surkov
Approval of Last Meeting's Minutes
- Minutes from 2008/01/26 Expert Handlers Conference Call
- Minutes from 2008/01/19 Expert Handlers Conference Call
- Minutes from 2008/01/12 Expert Handlers Conference Call
Action Item Review
ACTION ITEMS ASSIGNED AT THE 2009/01/19 CALL:
- ACTION JS & GJR: carry action items from last week for next week
- ACTION VB: explore GDML (geometry markup language)
- ACTION NS: CellML, GEDML, GEML (gene ML), GIXML (gastro-intestinal markup language)
- ACTION JS: continue investigation of MusicML and FLOW ML
- ACTION GJR: will scrape whatever is left
Topic 1: Specialized Markup Languages Revisted
Talking Points & Resources:
JS said that FlowML seems to be dead.
JS said MusicXML is a good candidate for an expert handler. It is being used across scoring apps. It seems very complete.
NS asked whether "play" is an action that needs to be considered in addition to navigation, speech, and braille.
JS and JT felt that isn't the province of the EH, but is the app's responsibility.
JT felt that navigation and level of detail were particularly difficult/interesting with music. How are interactions with the ML going to be indicated.
NS said that MathPlayer uses numbers to indicate where it is for synchronizing speech with display. This works because MathPlayer generates and interprets the ML and numbers.
JT felt that maintaining a separation between the EH and the app and communicating the position between them would be the hard part for the requirements.
NS said that an ML can be parsed and linearized in a standard fashion, and that number can be passed, or a pointer to the tree can be referenced.
JT felt that having a DOM is essential for navigation/interaction.
NS suggested maybe focusing on browser DOMs would be a good way to focus and start a discussion.
JS said that as far as she could see, MusicXML is used only for file storage. It isn't embedded in web pages, etc.
Didn't get to:
Identify Topics for the 2008/02/16 Expert Handlers Call
- adjourned: h UTC
- Agenda for 2009/02/16 Expert Handlers Call