The Linux Foundation

 
Accessibility/Handlers/Meetings/Minutes20090112.html

From The Linux Foundation

(Difference between revisions)
m
m
Line 48: Line 48:
 
'''VB:''' no
 
'''VB:''' no
  
'''NS:''' DAISY Pipeline -- takes input from various sources -- OpenOffice, Word, <html><abbr title="and so on">etc.</abbr></html>; flows through pipeline to convert to DAISY book; Design Science designed tool for MathML; supposed to be released in November 2008, but patent issues arose; probably release around time of CSUN 2009
+
'''NS:''' [http://www.daisy.org/projects/pipeline/ DAISY Pipeline] -- takes input from various sources -- OpenOffice, Word, <html><abbr title="and so on">etc.</abbr></html>; flows through pipeline to convert to DAISY book; [http://www.desisci.com/ Design Science] designed tool for MathML; supposed to be released in November 2008, but patent issues arose; probably release around time of CSUN 2009
  
 
'''NS:''' related to that is that Microsoft is releasing new version of "Save as DAISY" with actual Math support
 
'''NS:''' related to that is that Microsoft is releasing new version of "Save as DAISY" with actual Math support

Revision as of 01:39, 13 January 2009

Contents

Minutes of the Open A11y Expert Handlers SIG Call 2009/01/12

Preliminary Business

Attendance

  • Neil Soiffer (NS/chair)
    • Vladmir Bulatov (VB)
    • Gregory J. Rosmaita (GJR, scribe)
    • Janina Sajka (JS)
      • regrets: Pete Brunet, Alexander Surkov

Agenda Review

Approval of Last Meeting's Minutes




Note: This meeting has not yet been held.

Minutes of Expert Handlers Conference Call 2009/01/12

Topic 1: Updates & News

GJR: ARIA 1.0 is now headed for Last Call in mid-to-late February 2009

NS: is "math" still one of roles?

GJR: discussed at today's ARIA caucus

NS: limited to marking images as having math?

GJR: math now inherits from section, not IMG -- didn't want to reinforce the idea that pictures of math is "meaningful math", much as there is confusion over pictures of text and actual text; final wording is very concise and precise; still need to include authoring best practice of using TeX or LaTeX as alt text and attaching it to the image, if the site persists in serving images rather than actual MathML or other structured and appropriate language; may end up as a WCAG2 technique

JS: please keep the list updated on new editor's drafts

NS: who is going to CSUN 2009?

JS: currently co-chairing WAI PF -- may be at CSUN if necessary

GJR: no

VB: no

NS: DAISY Pipeline -- takes input from various sources -- OpenOffice, Word, etc.; flows through pipeline to convert to DAISY book; Design Science designed tool for MathML; supposed to be released in November 2008, but patent issues arose; probably release around time of CSUN 2009

NS: related to that is that Microsoft is releasing new version of "Save as DAISY" with actual Math support

VB: math in MathML?

NS: yes, math in MathML; written mathtype and expression formatter for it;

NS: from John, ViewPlus more buy-in from other publishers; American Physical Society going to produce journals in DAISY format

GJR: does anyone know the format in which the original content is served? NewsML? ZedAI working on periodicals profile which integrates NewsML served from news distribution organizations in NewsML

NS: thought one thing ZedAI will do is have transformation to XHTML+MathML+Whatever profiles

GJR: still integral part, but core based on XHTML2

NS: another bit of news: once APS does DAISY publishing 2 other scientific journals will follow suit

GJR: that's [expletive] incredible




Topic 2: Specialized Markup Languages Revisted

Talking Points & Resources:

Note: SIG members are asked to post on the status of their investigations to the accessibility-handlers list no later than 1400h Pacific Standard Time, FRIDAY, JANUARY 16, 2009

  • ACTION NS: look at Requirements Document and investigate SBML, CML
  • ACTION VB: concentrate on means of representing graphical data -- geography
  • ACTION JS: investigate MusicXML and FlowML
  • ACTION GJR: investigate whatever's left



Topic 2: Expert Handlers Requirements, 0.1

Talking Points & Resources:

NS: where had we left off discussion?

GJR: which layer responsible for what technology

NS: where communication occurs

GJR: at the 2008-11-17 Expert Handlers meeting we identified the following questions we need to answer in the Requirements, 0.1:

  1. what is and what is not an expert handler?
  2. when are Expert Handlers necessary, and when are they superfluous?
  3. what existing technologies can be leveraged to assist AT interact with specialized content markup?

NS: targets markup language

GJR: also need to watch developments with XML Events 2 -- will be further modularized into Event, Listener and Script modules

NS: i have fair amount of work to do to get things moving along; all have MLs to investigate

NS: could each person take a pass over the Use Cases they wrote to decide if need Expert Handlers for targeted markup languages




Wrap Up

Identify Topics for the 2008/01/19 Expert Handlers Call

  • EVERYONE WHO IS GOING TO SAY SOMETHING IN REQUIREMENTS DOCUMENT POST A STATUS REPORT (yes, i've checked it out and... or no, i haven't had the chance) TO THE LIST ON YOUR PROGRESS BY FRIDAY, 16 JANUARY 2009
  • Depending upon response, the next Expert Handlers call will either be 19 January 2009 or 26 January 2009






[Article] [Discussion] [View source] [History]