The Linux Foundation

 
Accessibility/Handlers/Meetings/Minutes20080825.html

From The Linux Foundation

Revision as of 17:01, 26 August 2008 by Oedipus (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ←Older revision | view current revision (diff) | Newer revision→ (diff)

Minutes of the Open A11y Expert Handlers SIG Call 2008/08/25

Contents


Attendance

  • Neil Soiffer (NS/chair)
    • Pete Brunet (PB)
    • Vladmir Bulatov (VB)
    • Janina Sajka (JS)

Agenda Review

Approval of Last Meeting's Minutes



Minutes of Expert Handlers Conference Call 2008/08/25

Discussion of DOM

The meeting began with a review of discussion from last week. The focus was on the idea that the EH creates an accessibility DOM that is sensible for the specialized markup it is working with.

The moved to the following ideas on what the DOM should provide. It would be modeled on what IA2 does to extend MSAA.

  • Extend MSAA with a few methods: get Braille, etc. This is then the base set of methods that all EHs must implement
  • Each markup language potentially extends the EH extension to create its own hierarchy with specific methods. AT would do a QueryInterface to get the extended interface.
  • Each object in the hierarchy would have a role. New roles may be needed to support the specialized markup.
  • A new event might be needed to configure the EH with info about the various devices. The would potentially be an event when the DOM was loaded. Alternatively, the info could be passed in with the method, but this would happen repeated for every call as opposed to once for the "pre-configure" idea.

NS worried that most apps don't support scripting and therefore probably don't expose a DOM.

JS replied that apps need to expose something or we can't do anything, not matter what model we have.

Where does the EH belong?

NS said we continue to leave unanswered the fundamental question as to whether the EH is per/app, or whether calls the EH so it is independent of the app.

PB felt that most code could be shared and that app-specific code would amount to only 5% - 10% of the code for the EH, and so it should be that hard to do. He suggested Aaron and Marco might be able to shed light on this and that they should be invited to the next meeting.

Action Item: Neil to invite Aaron & Marco to the Sept 8 meeting

NS brought up a bad choice he was forced to make when implementing MathPlayer. If he made the MSAA role be "ROLE_SYSTEM_EQUATION", no AT recognized the app. If he used "ROLE_SYSTEM_TEXT", they worked. Obviously, using "ROLE_SYSTEM_EQUATION" is the right thing and is needed for the above to work, but then no AT would work with MathPlayer until they were all made "math aware".

PB said that a workaround might be to report "ROLE_SYSTEM_EQUATION" as an MSAA answer, but use something else for the IAccessible2 query.






[Article] [Discussion] [View source] [History]