The Linux Foundation

 
Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20080819

From The Linux Foundation

Open A11y Working Group Conference Call (19 August 2008)

Contents


Participants

  • Janina Sajka (JS/chair)
    • Stew Benedict (SB)
    • Pete Brunet (PB)
    • Mike Gorse (MG)
    • Gregory J. Rosmaita (GJR/scribe)
    • Gunnar Schmi-DT (GS)
    • Will Walker (WW)
      • regrets: David Bolter


For Reference



Preliminary Items

Approval of Past Minutes


Meeting Minutes

Topic 1: Report on a Meeting with AIA

JS: Open A11y participants: Janina Sajka, Gregory J. Rosmaita, Andrew Updegrove, Karen Copenhaven (lawyers from LF)

JS: basis of discussion - how AIA and Open A11y can work together; a lot of legalese -- agreed to exchange documents -- more to AIA IPR statement than in Community Promise; Andy & KarenC hoping to have a Linux Foundation IPR policy by end of week; willing to do exchange - will ascertain how far we can get; follow up meeting end of September

JS: laid out our summation of concerns: nothing so far about licensing for code from AIA - not clear if going to be code; if just specs, can implement mandatory parts

JS: open license concern for us when working collaboratively; specification openness; Community Promise focused on legal side, not conformance

JS: told that Community Promise only applies to Microsoft patent for UIAutomation; AIA might have some different understanding of IPR

GJR: UIAutomation for accessibility moved from Microsoft to AIA; still missing documentation

PB: besides LF attorneys, who was on?

JS: AIA representatives: Andrew Kirkpatrick from Adobe; Doug Geoffrey, of GW-Micro; Rich Schwerdtfeger, of IBM

PB: only attorneys LF attorneys?

PB: list of patents?

JS: complained that no liability if implement mandatory parts,but they have to be very clearly defined; need bright line for implementation purposes;

PB: interested in patents - implemented UIAutomation support - want to ensure not violating any patents

GJR: Pete, might be best to ask Rich Schwerdtfeger - on AIA steering committee

PB: their request, implemented, want to ensure patents straight

JS: suggested to AIA that there are concerns from several directions from our side to get IPR issues resolved; while doing that, might be useful to take small steps; Accessibility & DOM API Comparison document could be test case of collaboration

JS: popular statement on UIAutomation accessibility specifications published via AIA - copyright statement not really different from GPL GNU license or creative commons

JS: no commitment to move on that

ACTION: GJR - recontact Larry and carbon-copy AIA people - contribute to Accessibility & DOM API Comparisons under creative commons license

PB: what protected by creative commons?

JS: Microsoft statement with terms similar to creative commons

GJR: refer to:

JS: any document would be GLPL or creative commons

JS: glad to hear from AndyU that we are getting a LF IPR statement which can be cited and point to



Topic 2: SOI Updates

For Reference:

JS: publish full statement of intent, move old D-Bus page to archive and create new D-Bus page on wiki

JS: make first ref to CodeThink and D-Bus to hyperlink

ACTION: GJR post to list when new page created



Topic 3: SIG Updates

Adoption of IAccessible2

IAccessible2, version 1.0.2:
IAccessible2, version 1.0.2 in HTML
IAccessible2, version 1.0.2 as IDL

JS: wanted to vote next week on IAccessible2 so can send on to the Linux Foundation's board for approval

JS: Peter Korn asked for more time -- have you heard from him yet, PeteB?

PB: PKorn hasn't responded

JS: if 26 August 2008 too soon, 2 September 2008 will be the date on which the Workgroup votes on IAccessible2, version 1.0.2

ACTION: Janina - write email to Peter Korn to ascertain if can live with 2 September 2008 vote

PB: working on revisions; small errors

JS: any issues, contact PeteB and ia2 emailing list

PB: can also open a bug for it



Topic 4: Website Update

Collecting ATK/AT-SPI Documentation in a Single Common Place

JS: would like to discuss the port of standards documents from live.gnome.org to Open A11y web space

WW: ATK and AT-SPI documentation - where lives don't know

ACTION: Willie - track down maintainers of ATK and AT-SPI info at live.gnome.org to co-ordinate port to open a11y space

WW: starting to dig into accessibility for developers -- how to test for accessibility, common pitfalls, keyboard traversal, mnemonics; another section under the covers making custom widgets accessible;

WW: what is ATK, what are applications, what is contract between ATK and AT-SPI

JS: similar sorts of documentation at gnome.org - applying infrastructure in GNOME - will eventually have same thing for KDE - additional info available at...

MG: documentation might be in IDL directory of AT-SPI

WW: MGorse right - complication: Bill Haneman has personal directory with most recent stuff

WW: will coordinate a search-and-destroy mission with GJR and BH

JS: put up page of toolkits that implement AT-SPI directly or through bridge (such as XUL and Open Office)

WW: JavaAPI, JTK, Open Office and echo (rendering engine for mozilla)

WW: target big toolkit people

JS: WS-GTK picked up some of it



New Business


Identify Topics for the 2 September 2008 Teleconference

Voting on IAccessible2, version 1.0.2


Wrap Up

Summary of New Action Items

  • ACTION: GJR - recontact Larry and carbon-copy AIA people - contribute to Accessibility & DOM API Comparisons under creative commons license
  • ACTION: GJR - post to list when new page created
  • ACTION: Willie - track down maintainers of ATK and AT-SPI info at live.gnome.org to co-ordinate port to open a11y space
  • ACTION: Janina - email Peter Korn to ascertain if can live with 2 September 2008 vote on IAccessible2

Summary of Continued Action Items

Summary of Resolutions




[Article] [Discussion] [View source] [History]