The Linux Foundation

 
Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20080715

From The Linux Foundation

Open A11y Working Group Conference Call (15 July 2008)

Contents


Participants

  • Janina Sajka (JS/chair)
    • Mike Gorse (MG)
    • Gregory J. Rosmaita (GJR/scribe)
    • Olaf Schmidt (OS)
      • regrets: Pete Brunet, Steve Lee

For Reference



Preliminary Items

Approval of Past Minutes



Meeting Minutes

Topic 1: Update on AT-SPI on Dbus Wiki

JS: MGorse, any updates?

MG: starting to move towards working on mono stuff, rather than DBus; will return to that aspect of the project on as-needed basis; MarkD working on DBus port; work i've done is close to testable, but don't know how much can do unilaterally -- may need help testing when pyatspi ready to test; might identify things in common that need fixing; question of where to put things; Open Accessibility makes sense because not GNOME-centric but agnostic

JS: agree -- Open Accessibility's intentions are stated well and clearly in the Statement on Desktop Interoperability (SOI) -- Open Accessibility's goal has always been independence from any particular toolkit or desktop; AT from GNOME and KDE working on other desktops; keep user's perspective -- user doesn't care where certain desktop functionalities come from, as long as it is there and plays well with other implementations and applications; might be good to have documentation at Open Accessibility

MG: might become free desktop project; right now code on codethink server

GJR: needs to coordinate with live.gnome.org -- will email Willie Walker

MG: DBus stuff on live.gnome.org by MarkD and Rob; some of it may not be relevant any more -- investigation, design notes;

JS: people in our orbit

GJR: will ping WW, MD, and RT to ensure coordination of resources




Topic 2: Does the Statement on Desktop Interoperability (SOI) Need Updating?

JS: SOI - hasn't been updated since 2005

JS: moving off of CORBA even in GNOME - wiki needs update; perhaps SOI needs an update itself

JS: perhaps an addendum for SOI to bring people up-to-date and points them to the wiki?

JS: Olaf, could you consider a proposal for updating SOI; MikeG -- ideas and updates for DBus wiki page?

GJR: listed under resources in search of a maintainer

MG: will take a look, and post to list; also some info at live.gnome.org which is complementary or redundant -- need to cross-check and coordinate

OS: main focus should be on updating DBus page; need documentation; need to help new people to get involved; won't be able to do much technical work on it now, but critical for attracting new participants and contributors

OS: need to make accessible to developers

JS: update SOI?

OS: first idea would be to leave text as is and to put paragraph at top with links to current work

GJR: would link to Open A11y ATK/AT-SPI Technical References suffice for SOI?

OS: ok, but highlight DBus page

GJR: ok, will do

JS: olaf, want to propose new text for SOI?

OS: better to compose when DBus wiki page is updated

JS: ok



Topic 3: SIG Updates

JS: an update on IAccessible2 -- IAccessible2 RFC concluded 30 June 2008; fielded a few comments; PeteB and IA2 SIG in process of closing spec down - should expect to have formal voting period on IA2 specification fairly soon -- possibly even next week (depends upon PeteB's schedule)

IAccessible2, version 1.0.2 (RFC version):
IAccessible2, RFC version 1.0.2 in HTML
IAccessible2, RFC version 1.0.2 as IDL



Topic 4: Website Update

Home Page Reformat Options

Resources in Search of a Maintainer:



New Business

OS: talk at KDE conference in August about standardization; ease of standardization, accessibility, benefits to KDE2

JS: good! wanted us to have presence there

OS: good idea to get other KDE developers in the loop about standardization and accessibility

JS: expect to be invited back to Libre Software next year, would also like to attend akademy2009

JS: perhaps even organize a face to face around next year's conference

OS: that would be excellent

JS: lots to discuss: taking AT-SPI to mobile stack, the port to D-Bus

OS: some of the bridge numbers from Germany not working

JS: please drop PeteB a note about that -- IBM provides the phone bridge facility, PeteB is contact

OS: will email PeteB and CC Janina

Identify Topics for 22 July 2008 Teleconference

JS: AIA update -- IBM has decided to join AIA Rich Schwerdtfeger (of IBM, and an Open A11y workgroup member, himself) has been elected to board of AIA directors; Doug Geoffrey at GW-Micro the other (check and put in URIs); RichS pushing AIA to resolve issues with us; engaged KarenC and AndyU (lawyers) to have conversation with steering group of AIA and me (JS); don't think Open A11y's position has changed, but I am sure there will be things to report back to the workgroup from our meeting



Wrap Up

Summary of New Action Items

  • ACTION: GJR - ping Willie Walker, Mark Doffman, and Rob Taylor about coordinatrion of resources between Open A11y and GNOME Live
  • ACTION: OS - email PeteB about problems with international dial-in numbers
  • ACTION: GJR - ensure that SOI and DBus discussion included in minutes notice to be sent to group

Summary of Continued Action Items

  • ACTION: GJR - work on homepage reformat options and present to workgroup






[Article] [Discussion] [View source] [History]