The Linux Foundation

 
Accessibility/Minutes/Minutes20070918

From The Linux Foundation

Contents

Open A11y Working Group Conference Call (18 September 2007)


Participants

  • Janina Sajka (JS/chair)
  • Stew Benedict (SB)
  • Bill Haneman (BH)
  • Gregory J. Rosmaita (GJR/scribe)
  • Gunnar Schmi DT (GS)
  • Olaf Schmidt (OS)
    • regrets: Pete Brunet

For Reference



Preliminary Items

Approval of Past Minutes

Summary of Resolutions Agreed to at 11 September 2007 A11y Call

  1. RESOLVED: minutes from 4 September 2007 Meeting approved
  2. RESOLVED: take naming issue for Keyboard I/O Specifications to mailing list with suggestions from WG -- suggested keywords: filtering, alternative

RESOLVED: Minutes from 11 September 2007 A11y Call approved


Action Items Status Review

Summary of Action Items from 2007-09-11 Open A11y Conference Call

  • ACTION EVERYONE: review and discuss the preliminary CSUN 2008 proposal on the accessibility mailing list so that it can be finalized on 18 September 2008; submission due date is 21 September 2007
    • status: continued due to network problems experienced over past 24 hours by JS; will post revised draft to the accessibility list today; feedback needs to be prompt, as submission due 21 September 2007



  • ACTION JS: Contact RichS asking for PB's presence at CSUN 2008



  • ACTION GJR: contact W3C about CSUN catagorization
    • status: completed (answer: depends upon content and level of presentation; usually end up choosing "other")



Meeting Minutes

Topic 1: Finalization of CSUN 2008 Presentation Proposal


JS: apologize for not getting out to list before call so could discuss, but have been experiencing severe networking problems that has left me without access to my own data; will have to post to the main accessibility list and reap comments via the list before 1700 UTC, Thursday, 20 September



Topic 2: ATK/AT-SPI in LSB: Continue Planning and Scope

JS: proposal to Mozilla, possibly Gnome and elsewhere -- need scoping statements -- thoughts, Bill?

BH: how much do we know about available resources for performing the work?

JS: Eitan Isaacson committed to do some of it, need to find him helpers

BH: as long as Eitan can help, that helps the cause and will attract helpers

JS: are there restrictions on funding for which we can ask?

BH: gut tells me that most critical thing is get framework in place that allows test to be written and to write a modest sampling of tests, but most important task is getting framework in place so can move forward from one standard place

JS: invited DogTail and others -- emails out requesting more conversation

BH: at the end of process wouldn't necessarily have a lot of test coverage, but be in good position for future testing and will have tackled the hardest part and most crucial part -- thoughts?

SB: agree with that approach

BH: 2 questions: first for Janina -- when do we need to have this to pass by Mozilla Foundation? Second, do others want to be included in email round-robin of drafting and polishing?

JS: like to have completed before a11y summit in Boston, the first full weekend in October

BH: one thing I need to do before sitting down and writing is to have conversation with Eitan, then I'll be ready to go

JS: have multiple deliverables for W3C and the 2 Open A11y CSUN proposals, so no available cycles for authoring this week

BH: wouldn't have draft before next week -- will send preliminary notes to Janina and Eitan and anyone else who wants to be included

RESOLVED: Target date for scoping and funding proposal final draft is the end of September 2007

JS: Aaron Leventhal had suggestion about a contact at Gnome, can't access right now; Bill, can you get a sense of how much it will cost? need to throw some budgetary info at least into a 2 or 3 pager

BH: anyone else want to sign up -- Stew? WillieW?

SB: more than willing to throw in LSB concerns

JS: BillH and I will contact Willie Walker -- he's our firmest link to Eitan Isaacson



Topic 3: Finalizing the Open A11y Officer Elections

  • For Reference:
    • Olaf's election results post to the accessibility mailing list; note that A11y members have until 24 September 2007 to contact Olaf or GK4 directly about election results if could not fill out the membership or elections form at the beginning of the elections process due to the technical problems resulting from the migration of the Linux Foundation's servers.

OS: issue will be closed before next Open A11y call

JS: don't expect to hear anything, but that is the right thing to do



Topic 4: SIG Updates

JS: Handlers SIG moving forward -- work on Expert Handlers proposal for CSUN 2008 topic of entire meeting yesterday

JS: report from PeteB at this morning's IAccessible2 call; moving forward -- talked with Earl Johnson -- Gunnar and I will touch base to begin process of moving that spec to the board for approval



Topic 5: Website Update

GJR: need to follow up on action item with EarlJ;

JS: please do -- needs to be part of CSUN presentation

GJR: ok, will contact EarlJ directly (continuation of action item from 11 September 2007 meeting) with a deadline of thursday night for getting naming and ordering conventions fixed and obtaining any KBD documents that need to be pushed to Open A11y web space



New Business

Identify Topics for 25 September 2007 Teleconference

JS: confirmed with Harald Fernengle regarding the new QT A11y API for our call next Tuesday, 25 September. As previously discussed, we will devote our entire teleconference on the 25th to this topic, with a particular emphasis on desktop integration.

GJR: need to update agenda for next week to reflect this; will add any pertinent information from last conversations on topic

JS: will be a very full hour next week with Trolltech; expecting several members of Open A11y plus contacts from Trolltech; should be very productive meeting

Wrap Up

Summary of New Action Items

  • no new action items logged; 2 action items continued from 11 September 2007

Summary of Continued Action Items

  • ACTION EVERYONE: review and discuss the preliminary CSUN 2008 proposal on the accessibility mailing list so that it can be finalized on 20 September 2008; submission due date is 21 September 2007
    • status: continued due to network problems experienced over past 24 hours by JS; will post revised draft to the accessibility list today; feedback needs to be prompt, as submission due 21 September 2007

Summary of Resolutions

  1. RESOLVED: Minutes from 11 September 2007 A11y Call approved
  2. RESOLVED: Target date for scoping and funding proposal final draft is the end of September 2007





[Article] [Discussion] [View source] [History]