The Linux Foundation

 
Accessibility/IAccessible2/Agenda/20081021

From The Linux Foundation

Agenda for 2008/10/21

  1. Introductions if needed
  2. Approval of minutes - Corrections? Approval?
  3. LF: Open A11y news - Janina
  4. ISimpleDOMNode
    • Some key participants did not attend last week's meeting. We will try again in one week, i.e. 28 October.
    • To make progress we need at least the following in attendance: Pete Brunet, Peter Korn, Neil Soiffer, Aaron Leventhal, Gregory Rosmaita, Janina Sajka, Mick Curran, and Jamie Teh. Bill Haneman, Willie Walker, and Vladimir Bulatov should also be invited.
    • A similar proposal was discussed in the GNOME community 8 or 9 years ago and at that time Bill Haneman argued against the idea and Willie Walker and Aaron Leventhal argued for it.
    • For details see last week's agenda, item 4.
  5. CSUN
    • We'll submit one or more proposals to have a panel at CSUN. The following topics are currently proposed:
    • A lightning session for status reporting by those actively using or planning to use IA2.
    • A discussion of the merging of MSAA/IA2 with UIA. The following was taken from a recent mail thread starting with this post.
      • Is there a need for this?
      • Is continued alignment with ATK/AT-SPI still important?
      • When is it needed?
      • What are the technical challenges?
      • What are the business challenges?
      • What are the various solutions?
      • Who are the stakeholders?
      • How strong is the desire to accomplish the goal?
  6. AccProbe inspect tool - Mike Squillace
    • Bug activity is needed to ensure Eclipse doesn't remove AccProbe.
    • What is the backup plan if that happens? Would it make sense to move it to LF? It would have to be relicensed from EPL, but since IBM has been the only contributor that is probably possible.
  7. Firefox - Marco Zehe
  8. IA2 as a LF standard
    • Last week the LF Open A11y WG voted to submit the IA2 standard to the LF BoD for approval.
    • Remaining work items:
      • Move 3/26/2007 1.0.1 IDL and 10/13/2008 1.0.2 IDLs into BZR.
      • Close out bugs that have been addressed.
  9. Proxy DLL
    • Jamie sent Pete his RC file so it can be compared to the one attached to bug 110.
    • When the 1.0.2 files are added to BZR, Pete to include the files needed to build the proxy DLL.
    • The process for building the DLL needs to be updated to cover the use of Visual C Express Edition.
    • That wiki page probably needs other changes.
  10. Access to document revisions - from the ODF AccSC
    • This was reviewed by the AIA Interop group. The following issues were raised.
      • What is the solution for non-text attributes, e.g. tables, images, charts, cells, spreadsheets?
      • How are comment only revisions handled?
      • Probably need more kinds of format changes besides insertion, deletion, and format change.
      • Is more granularity needed for format changes, i.e. is it enough to just say there was a format change or should the kind of format change be indicated?
      • Use cases are needed.
      • getSegmentAtOffset (singular) needs to be getSegmentsAtOffset (plural) because unlink links there could be overlapping insertions and deletions.
    • Once these issues are resolved Li Yuan, the committer for ATK/AT-SPI will develop a patch.

enum IA2RevisionType {
  IA2_REVTYPE_INSERTION, 
  IA2_REVTYPE_DELETION,
  IA2_REVTYPE_FORMAT_CHANGE  // The revision is due to any change in formatting attributes. 
};

typedef struct {
    enum IA2RevisionType type;  
    BSTR time;  ///< ISO 8601 format:  YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss (eg 1997-07-16T19:20:21)
    BSTR author;
    BSTR comments;
} IA2RevisionInformation;

IARevisionText:
 
// Note: an object that implements IARevisionText must also implement IAText
 
// returns the number of segments available for the
// block of text represented by the IARevisionText object.
// this number is 1 based
get_segmentCount( long* count );
 
// returns a specific segment based on the index passed in
// the index is 0 based.
// no two indexes should return the same segment.
// any index >= 0, and less than the segment count should return a valid segment
// any index outside those bounds should set HRESULT to S_FALSE and return NULL
get_segment( long index,  IARevisionSegment** seg );
 
// returns a segment whose boundaries encompass the offset provided
// if there are no segments that correspond to the given offset, an error is produced
// offsets correspond identically to those used by IAText and IAHyperlink
get_segmentAtOffset( long offset, IARevisionSegment** seg );

IARevisionSegment:
 
// returns the bounding offsets of the segment within the IARevisionText/IAText object.
// the end offset is one past the last character in the revision text
get_bounds( long* start, long* end );

// returns a struct containing date/time, author, and comments
get_attributes( IA2RevisionAttributes *attributes );
 
// returns a set of name value pairs describing additional application
// specific attributes in the format "name:value;name:value"
get_extraAttributes( BSTR* extraAttributes );

No progress on the following

  1. Access to smart tags
    • Symphony uses IAHypertext/IAHyperlink for smart tags. This seems reasonable because smart tags are very similar to links. They represent actionable text. IAHyperlink can represent more than one action which is common for smart tags.
      • One requirement is for links and smart tags to be differentiated. This can be done with an object attribute on the accessible that represents the link object. Are there any issues with that approach?
  2. IA2 issues from Calvin Gaisford, opened on the behalf of AIA.
  3. IA2 object attributes specification.
    • The Symphony and FF3 object attributes will be reviewed. The common attributes will become part of the IA2 object attributes spec and the spec will reference the FF3 and Symphony specific specifications. (The Symphony object attributes are not documented on any Symphony web site, but they'll soon be documented on the IA2 site.)
    • Pete to add a "display" attribute with CSS2 values.
  4. Items raised by NVDA last year need to be put on the agenda for an upcoming Open A11y meeting
    • These are generic issues that need to be solved for both IA2 and ATK/AT-SPI dealing with objects contained in documents and tables
    • See items 4 and 5 in the October 2nd 2007 minutes for the history.
    • This was discussed during the January 22 Open a11y meeting.
    • These should be reopened and discussed with Willie and Li Yuan at a call convenient to the US, China, and Australia.
  5. Eclipse
  6. Wikipedia
  7. Developer Guide - Best practices document. We should start an outline for a best practices document. For starters it should define the following:
    • What events should be fired for each role and in what order.
    • What object hierarchy should be used. There are two today, a flat hierarchy as used in Symphony and a deeper hierarchy as used in Firefox. These two should be documented and in order to cut down on the proliferation of designs, future applications should attempt to use one or the other.
  8. Oleacc.idl
    • No new status on when it will be back in the SDK.
  9. FAQ

[Article] [Discussion] [View source] [History]