The Linux Foundation

 
Accessibility/Handlers/Meetings/Minutes20070924.html

From The Linux Foundation

Contents

Minutes of the Open A11y Expert Handlers SIG Call 2007/09/24

Attendance

  • Neil Soiffer (NS/chair)
  • Pete Brunet (PB)
  • Vladmir Bulatov (VB)
  • Gregory J. Rosmaita (GJR/scribe)
  • Janina Sajka (JS)
  • Shawn Djernes (SD)
    • regrets: none yet logged


Agenda Review



Minutes of Expert Handlers SIG Call 2007/09/24

Topic 1: Approval of minutes from 17 September 2007 meeting

JS: since i reviewed them carefully while writing proposal, i vote to approve

NS: any objections?

Resolved: Minutes from 17 September 2007 telecon approved



Topic 2: Expert Handlers CSUN 2008 Panel Proposal Review

2.1 Title Discussion

VB: expert content not markup?

JS: Specialized Content

VB: trying to think from pov of non-computer scientist

GJR: what about: Open A11y Proposal: A Standard to Enable AT Interaction with Specialized Content

PB: sounds good

JS: sounds good

RESOLVED: the name of the proposal will be Open A11y Proposal: A Standard to Enable AT Interaction with Specialized Content


2.2 Abstract Discussion

OLD:
This Open A11y panel will discuss, and gather additional requirements for its proposed interface specification to facilitate plugins to AT for enhancing knowledge domain accessibility.

PROPOSED CHANGE (NS):
AT can usually read general purpose markup well, but does not know about specialized markup for domains such as math or chemistry. This Open A11y panel will discuss and gather additional requirements for its proposed interface specification that standardizes interfaces between specialized markup expert software and AT.

GJR: last sentence proposal: This panel will discuss and gather additional requirements for a standard interface between specialized markup expert software and AT.

VB: by general do you mean HTML?

NS: markup often associated with web, but is a more general term than that

CONSENSUS CHANGE:
AT can read general purpose markup, but does not handle specialized markup for domains such as math or chemistry. This panel will discuss and gather additional requirements for a standard interface.


2.3 Proposal Discussion

NS: what is our relationship to other a11y proposals? help understand why this is different than the way Ia2 or MSAA works

JS: emphasize that we are looking at a cross-platform standard; no standardized way to deal with specialized markup -- maybe that is part of message that is missing; those who have made MLs accessible, looking for a standard interface; that's where the "what is the problem..." verbiage came from in original

NS: people happy with what is extant? suggestions?

JS: panel mix of industry and standards writers

NS: don't know if it makes sense to include expert handlers in Ia2 or not; no background as to why not part of another standard in proposal; should be mentioned, but if others don't think it is an issue, I'm willing to let it go

PB: probably good point to make in proposal

JS: regardless of operating system or application toolkits

NS: my take on prior Ia2 discussion was that goal of MSAA and Ia2 was to allow access to underlying contents of document; from that point of view can get MathML or MusicXML; but to provide access, we are providing a standardized way to convert data into something more meaningful for AT and user

JS: good for participation/recruiting

NS: proposed wording: MSAA and Ia2 provide access to underlying contents of the document; however, they do are not aware of the semantic meaning of the contents. Therefore it is necessary to provide a standardized way to convert data into something more meaningful for AT and user.

ACTION: JS will write something about Ia2 and MSAA and ATK needing standardized way to communicate semantics; put on list by end of day (24 September 2007)

SD: I'm willing to serve on the panel -- don't know if I made that clear

JS: sorry Shawn -- my fault

GJR: my fault too -- didn't double-check or alphabetize the list of panel participants -- you're now on the list and will continue to be from now forward

SD: what about plans for testing

NS: another item to consider in JS' and my draft



New Business

Identify Agenda Items for the 1 October 2007 Handlers SIG Call

  1. Input/Output Handler Use Case
  2. Testing of Expert Handlers/Expert Handlers Test Protocol
  3. Web Site Issues


Summary of New Action Items

  • ACTION: JS will write something about Ia2 and MSAA and ATK needing standardized way to communicate semantics; put on list by end of day (24 September 2007)


Summary of New Resolutions

  • RESOLVED: Minutes from 17 September 2007 telecon approved
  • RESOLVED: the name of the proposal will be Open A11y Proposal: A Standard to Enable AT Interaction with Specialized Content
  • RESOLVED: the abstract for the Expert Handlers CSUN 2008 Panel will state: AT can read general purpose markup, but does not handle specialized markup for domains such as math or chemistry. This panel will discuss and gather additional requirements for a standard interface.







[Article] [Discussion] [View source] [History]