Linux Foundation Wiki

project collaboration site

User Tools

Site Tools


civilinfrastructureplatform:ciptesting:journal

CIP Testing Project Journal 2017

November

Friday 2017/11/17

rajm

  • Further response to the Trung Huynh's email thread - would be helpful to see the actual yaml file that he's currently using.

toscalix

  • Tiejun Chen offered help. I wrote him back with some links and ideas.

bwh

Wednesday 2017/11/15

rajm

  • Replied to Trung Huynh's email about the problems he is having getting a health check to run on the Renesas iwg20m.

toscalix

bwh

Tuesday 2017/11/14

rajm

toscalix

  • As recap, I sent a mail to the cip-dev mailing list explaining the history of the CIP Testing project.
  • I sent a second e-mail summarising my view on what to do next in the Testing project.

bwh

  • Had my weekly one-to-one meeting with Agustin, discussing various outstanding tasks and issues.
  • Started reviewing the changes pending for 4.4.98.

Monday 2017/11/13

rajm

  • Opened ticket #170 to log kernelci network fragility encountered on Friday's talk

toscalix

  • Created a report for the TSC meeting minutes since the bi-weekly call will be later today.
  • Removed due dates from several tickets
  • Participated in the TSC call.
    • Agreed on sending a mail explaining my view on testing the CIP kernel in kernelci.org
  • Added the talk Ben H. and I did at ELCE to the events wiki page in this wiki.
    • Notified to the mailing list.

bwh

I subscribed to the libc-alpha and y2038 mailing lists last week in order to keep track of and participate in the work on Y2038 safety. I have reviewed a few patches on the kernel side, and sent comments on the latest draft specification for glibc, but haven't seen any other activity on the glibc side.

I'm catching up on reviewing 4.4 stable changes for CIP, and covered 4.4.96 and 4.4.97 today.

Friday 2017/11/10

rajm

  • Preparation for and delivery of internal talk to Codethink on b@d.

toscalix

  • rajm will work maintaining the tool
  • Went over the current pending tasks. Need to work further over the release tasks in order to close it.

Tuesday 2017/11/07

tpollard

rajm

  • Tidied tickets to put project into maintenance mode. Added a little more info on the transition to gitlab #148
  • Team meeting.
  • Opened #169 to track Daniel's networking issue.
  • Doing full test (more than just provision) of MR51 which looked good so I have closed the associated issue #168
  • Ran health check successfully on BBB (cip11).

toscalix

  • Team meeting. Went over the Doing tasks and decide what to do with them.

Monday 2017/11/06

tpollard

rajm

  • I've merged MR50 to clean up the device dictionary file, we may want PDU commands but they can be added later - and with the correct syntax!
  • Adding python-selinux fixes the provisioning failure so I have created MR51.
  • Ran health check successfully on BBB (cip11).
  • Seeing libselinux-python support errors on a fresh provision, thought last week this was due to an attempt to migrate only to gitlab git repositories but it appears not! Investigating and #168 opened.

toscalix

  • Checked the latest messages on the lava-users mailing list. The same applies to other Open Source testing projects.
  • Giving some thoughts about how to share tests and reports with upstream projects, specially kernelci.org. Wrote to Nori about it.

Friday 2017/11/03

tpollard

  • Resized b@d stock vmdk to allow for more kernel sources
  • Built cip4 kernel from renesas upstream with kernelci (taking config from cip-core yaml)

rajm

  • Replied to Thanh's email to cip-dev - his test has the deploy section commented out.
  • Created branch fix-linaro-permissions in git@gitlab.com:rajm/board-at-desk-single-dev.git to test #165
  • Questioning why setting DATE_RANGE in /etc/linaro/kernelci-frontend.cfg doesn't take effect. Looks like permissions on /etc/linaro are too restrictive opened #165 to investigate this.
  • Sent report on ELCE to codethink.
  • Ran health check successfully on BBB (cip11).

toscalix

  • CIP Testing plan creation up to ELC 2017
  • Report creation
    • Report sent after reviewed by the team
    • Included the new tickets created by tpollard #166 and #167

Thursday 2017/11/02

tpollard

  • Team meeting
  • Hooked up BBB to remote PDU
  • Tested current healthcheck with http curl requests for power commands (as with iw20gm)
  • Started to look at provisioning the iw20gm kernel outside of kas/bitbake
  • Building kernel with kernel ci, taking config from recipe/yaml, having to expand vmdk

rajm

  • Has noticed that my kernelci builds are marked as 'building' in spite of the build having completed.
  • Added documentation on the testing as to how to test an externally built kernel in B@D.
  • Investigation of #164, it's the frontend file that requires amendment, in addition the number of displayed builds may require user configuration.
  • Team meeting
  • Updated the tickets mentioned in yesterday's entries.
  • Closed #120 - which commented on the referencing of v0.9 tag on the wiki which is a no longer working version. The wiki was altered for the release to mention the v1.0 tag.
  • Ran health check successfully on BBB (cip11).

toscalix

  • Evaluating the open tasks.
    • Added metadata and evaluate priority with rajm
  • Based on the input from ELCE, working on the plan for the coming months.
  • Team meeting
    • For the training session, in order to support Renesas board, we used CIP Core. Now we will go back to the original plan which is to build the kernel supporting Renesas board on ots own, in the same way we do with BBB, in order to test it, avoiding further dependencies.
    • Disussed issue #164. Added a comment with my idea about it.

Wednesday 2017/11/01

tpollard

rajm

  • Attempted to build just using gitlab repos, the internal links for the ansible provisioning in kernelci-backend-config/ kernelci-frontend-config will also need changing. The provisioning fails with a “This module requires libselinux-python support” error.
  • Tried altering the timeout for display of builds manually in kernelci-backend query.py that changes it but there seems to be some caching somewhere as another manual change doesn't take effect?
  • Replied to Takuo Koguchi's email about problems with his version of the Beaglebone black.
  • Closed #53 - the U-Boot prompt configuration.
  • 1:1 with toscalix
  • Consideration of future issues and their priorities.
  • Ran health check successfully on BBB (cip11).

toscalix

October

Tuesday 2017/10/31

tpollard

rajm

  • Ill

toscalix

Monday 2017/10/30

tpollard

  • continue to interact with b@d & iw20gm with remote pdu
  • b@D completes sample test from Daniel for iw20gm, removed/tweaked jinja config for specific scenario

rajm

  • Issues #163 and #164 created relating to builds no longer appearing in kernelci if they are more than 5 days old - needs to be user configurable!
  • cip11 health check runs correctly.
  • Built cip11 in kernelci preparatory to using it for the BBB.
  • Ran health check successfully on BBB (cip8).

toscalix

  • Thanked Arnd, Mark and Albert for their time at ELCE to talk about Y2038
  • Requested to publish the pending CIP TSC meeting minutes on the wiki.
  • Promoted the previous days Ben H. and mself talk about kernel maintenance. Positive feedback.
  • Prepared some points of the CIP TSC agenda for today's call.
    • Feedback from ELCE.

Friday 2017/10/27

  • The previous days rajm and toscalix has been at ELCE 2017

tpollard

  • Received IP Power 9258 Remote PDU
  • Connected to internal network, can power cycle 4 sockets via http requests/telnet
  • Added http commands to template provided by Daniel for iw20gm test case

rajm

  • Initial investigation of checking the host IP against that in the device dictionary.
  • Ran successful health check on BBB.
  • Removed various of the VMs from my laptop, that were provisioned during testing, to free up disk space.
  • I've also added #161 to review the pause after ramdisk drops to shell.
  • Added #160 - to start the kernelci webserver on booting the VM. This may also solve the issue we had with the builds not appearing and mean that we don't need our own version of build.py.
  • Added #159
  • Reviewed expenses for the ELCE trip

toscalix

  • Uploaded the slides from the elce talk with bwh to the LF tool and promoted the slides.

Friday 2017/10/20

tpollard

rajm

  • Installed 16.04 Ubuntu on borrowed laptop and the shared ethernet connection worked immediately
  • Due to delays getting shared connection to work the training session was cancelled - just as well in view of the hotel network blocking dhcp settings, we'd have had to instruct attendees to use their wifi hotspots.
  • We had settings from nowster for setting up a shared connection on Debian but there were issues further down the line and the settings were overwritten when we did a fresh install.
  • Team meeting at 16:30 to discuss training session situation.
  • Work done on the abortive training session script.
  • Still issues with a shared connection, have borrowed a laptop from ops for this to take with me. Currently provisioning a fresh install at the end of which I'll be able to test!

toscalix

  • Worked on the slides for the training session
    • Finished
  • Sent additional information to Arnd about the Y2038 meeting.
    • Told Nori we have 4-5 free seats at the meeting. People from other LF groups can join.
  • Worked on the CIP - AGL meeting organisation.
  • Cancelled the training session.
    • Communicated to the CIP members and LF.

Thursday 2017/10/19

tpollard

  • Meeting to discuss blockers & actions to take asap
  • Managed to config both windows & linux (ubuntu 16.04) to provision wifi over ethernet to BBB
  • Documented the screen shots in draft slides, tested b@D worked correctly in this config
  • Worked to get around uboot versioning problems, fix found by rajm

rajm

  • Meeting with toscalix discussion the various blockers to the training session - ssh, u-boot on some boards and renesas issues.
  • Ran daily health check on BBB successfully - was keen to do so after it being used elsewhere and for flashing an sd card.
  • Created draft script for training session

toscalix

Wednesday 2017/10/18

tpollard

  • Battled with getting BBB & iw20gm working with windows provisioned box
  • Used project-x in Jessie VM to produce uimage,uboot & ramdisk for iw20gm
  • Acquired iw20gm board
  • Flashed revC BBB from debian8 to 7, healthcheck now matches rajm's board
  • Got b@d talking to iw20gm, missing remote power for lava to operate correctly

rajm

  • Worked on getting a direct ssh connection via 192.168.7.2 to the BBB but it doesn't appear to work. Took the board home and checked that the issue is also a problem there - to rule out a company network cause.
  • Created an sd card containing an image of my B@D working Beaglebone Black.
  • Checked out tpollard's Renesas health check - Daniel's email confirms that not having a remote power switch is a blocker.
  • There's a concern that different firmware versions on the BBB may result in the health check not working.
  • Reviewed release announcement.
  • Verified that my BBB works with tpollard's setup.
  • Checked out acceptance criteria of #144
  • Added links to the downloads to the download page, updated the link to the public GPG key.
  • Reviewed and made modifications to the FAQ page.
  • Further work on the feature page - add initial section, link to merge requests, mention codethink. Described block diagram. Added bug fixes section but many of the ones we fixed were reactive to our changes - for example because of the LAVA update.

toscalix

  • Reviewed the article that will be published by LF marketing
  • Published and promoted the RT-4 linkedin messages.
  • Added the kernel release announcement to the mail version of the B@D announcement
  • Check the tasks.
  • Reviewed the feature page. Added some bits.
  • Release announcement reviewed and published.
    • Mail version reviewed and published. We are out!
  • Attended to the lab in a box talk from Baylibre at AGL AMM.
    • There will be documentation about it next month.

Tuesday 2017/10/17

tpollard

rajm

  • Assisted tpollard with setting up B@D.
  • Revised the test cases wiki page so that it reflects the order that tests should now be done and hilights the changes necessary to perform tests on the locally built kernel (always now!)
  • Further work on feature page.
  • Work on #144

toscalix

  • Reviewed the feature page. More content needed.
  • Got the link to the release announcement so finished the twitter social media messages and added the link in several other places.
  • Created the Linkedin messages
    • Published the linkedin messages in the marketing page
    • Notified marketing LF

Monday 2017/10/16

tpollard

  • Received mail about adding iwg20m to b@d
  • Applied provided patches to b@d, including lava & vagrant changes to support it
  • Current 'project-x' deby system is created with bitbake, using the meta-debian poky reference system
  • Problematic as based on old version of yocto (2.0 ~2015), does not 'support' debian9/ubuntu16.04 has host system (already encountered ncurses problem, fixed upstream but not backported to recipe)
  • Building require cip kernel & core-minimal system inside 14.04vm, will then provision into b@d box for testing
  • Received BBB order along with other items to be provisioned & tested for the hands-on-session

rajm

  • More work on feature page.
  • Spotted duplication in paragraphs 3 & 4 of the test cases page.
  • Attended CIP sync meeting.
  • I've changed the configuration page to use /vagrant/tests/bbb_debian_local.yaml rather than bbb_debian_ramdisk_test.yaml as that should be the basis of the eventual working health check, rather than trying to find a linaro kernel which isn't there. A non working config to use a locally built kernel is good.
  • Reviewed feature page.
  • Posted logs of provisioning and health checks (QEMU and BBB) and linked to them in technical documentation.
  • In the future I'd like to remove some of the many numbered references to the B@D version scattered though the technical documentation!
  • Reviewed and edited technical documentation.
  • Worked with toscalix on revision of block diagram.
  • Ticked acceptance criteria in #143
  • Ran successful BBB health check and mentioned on public IRC channel - I'll get back to the emailed version soon!

toscalix

  • Published the new features and download pages. Still both of them need work.
  • Went through the block diagram with rajm
    • Updated and uploaded in the feature page
  • Closed the deployment ticket
  • Improved the feature page
  • Sent a reminder to Annie to add tpollard as editor in the public wiki
  • Created a task for the future to refurnish the landing page.
  • TSC bi-weekly call
  • Sync up meeting wit the Codethink team
  • Mail version of the release announcement (draft) created.

Friday 2017/10/13

rajm

  • Updated known issues removing issues which save been solved in the coming release.
  • Updated #143 with links to the downloads.
  • Downloaded the v1.0 files and checked sha256 and gpg signing.
  • Tested the box after downloading it from S3
  • Started #143 Uploaded the box and and artifacts to S3.
  • Added a list of files to be uploaded to #142
  • Created sha256 hashes and gpg signatures for the box and the sources
  • Created the metadata -tar.gz files containing the sources
  • Tested exported box under Linux and Windows10
  • Exported the box
  • The Windows hosted install BBB health check now passes.

toscalix

  • rajm declared Gold Master. I communicated it: #142
  • Worked on the slides for the talk with bwh
  • Created and sent to cip-dev mailing list the bi-weekly report. On monday I will update the TSC

Thursday 2017/10/12

rajm

  • The Windows install is provisioned and currently building the CIP kernel.
  • The Debian hosted install is now provisioned and tested.
  • Commenced provisioning and testing of VMs under Debian and Windows 10
  • Tagged the repositories #142
  • Added licence information to the wiki for contributors
  • Closed #140 licenses
  • Team meeting discussing Gold Master
  • Synced the repositories
  • Added LICENSE.spdx to the B@D repos

toscalix

  • Team meeting to talk about the Gold Master declaration
    • We went over the tasks involved in this phase of the release process.
    • Fixed some links of the GM declaration task
  • Management page done. MArketing page also done according to #144
  • Purchase order for the material required for the B@D 101 training session sent.
  • Filled the info about the demo that will be used by the Linux Foundation to promote the CIP demos.

Wednesday 2017/10/11

rajm

  • I am now doing a fresh provision from new master, hopefully this will form the basis of gold master.
  • Both these merge requests have now been approved and merged (after a few changes).
  • Created 48 for the update to debian stretch.
  • Created merge request 49 for the licensing update.
  • Created #152 for the stretch update.
  • I've created a branch for the stretch update. That provisions ok for me under linux and health checks on QEMU and BBB run. Now checking with Windows 10.

toscalix

  • CTtpollard on boarding process. Welcome Tom.
    • Tom has now access to gitlab
    • Requested for him edit rights on the CIP public wiki.
  • Sync up meeting with robert
  • Tasks update
  • tpollard added as approver in master repo
  • CIP Developers Meeting at ELCE announced.
  • Sync up meeting with Ben H (bwh) about the common talk we will do at ELCE.

Tuesday 2017/10/10

rajm

  • After consulting with colleagues we're using jessie-backports and jessie-backports-sloppy as well as stretch for the cross compilers and have removed testing. Currently trying a fresh provision if that works will then embark on extra testing!
  • Attempted an install from snapshot.debian.org but is, so far, unable to get apt-get to see the correct version of LAVA
  • Created a branch update-licences for the licence updates.

toscalix

Monday 2017/10/09

rajm

  • Worked with Agustin - and a meeting - to determine the 3 issues which will need to be addressed after the release - see toscalix's comments below.
  • Installed 2017-10 on Linux and that shows the same issue as the Windows 10 install - making it more likely that there won't be another issue to solve once we get 2017-7 installed on Windows 10.
  • The Windows 10 install revealed that the lava version installed by default in B@D is the latest which is now 2017-10 which is not the one we tested against (which was 2017-7). On further investigation that version is now unavailable in the testing/backports repository and work is being carried out to determine how to install 2017-7.
  • Updated version on the new block diagram.
  • Updated the draft release announcement.
  • Testing the current git master on Windows 10, provisions ok and the initramfs kernel build and kernelci i/f works, currently issues with USB and ser2net.
  • Successful run of BBB health check with result going to email list.

toscalix

  • Started to work on the release announcement #146
    • Finished and reviewed by rajm. Sent it to cip-members for feedback.
  • Meeting with Robert to evaluatre the current state of technical issues.
    • I created three tickets of tasks that will not be performed in this release cycle but the next one.
    • There are two technical issues to solve: point to the right LAVA version on Debian, since it has been updated and add the license header to every file developed/modified by Codethink when missing and the spdx file..
  • Created the block diagram draft. Robert updated the versions. #144
  • Created a ticket to track the actions related with the developers meeting at ELCE #151
  • Worked on the new CIP Testing release page.
  • Moved the content of the feature page and the download page from the previous release to be able to modify them for the new coming release

Friday 2017/10/06

rajm

  • Investigated improving the licence state of the forthcoming v1.0 release.
  • MR 47 was approved and merged (by Lachlan), I've now done a fresh provision, configure, compile and BBB health check successfully.
  • Successful run of BBB health check with result going to email list.

toscalix

  • Finished the release plan
    • #141 Release B@D v1.0. This is the task that track the whole process
    • #142 B@D v1.0 release: Gold Master declaration.
    • #143 B@D v1.0 release: deployment.
    • #144 B@D v1.0 release: documentation
    • #146 B@D v1.0 release: marketing material preparation
    • #147 B@D v1.0 release: publishing
  • Meetig with Robert to analyse the improvements to be made on this release on the license compliance front.

Thursday 2017/10/05

rajm

  • Amended wiki to cover the changes for LAVA 2017-7 and the necessary reboot of the VM, added point on this to known issues.
  • Opened #145 to document efforts to drop back to a more stable version of kernelci for the release and the ELC-E training session. Provisioning with a checkout of older versions is working well and a MR has been created.
  • Weekly meeting
  • The provision of kernelci works ok by adding the install of nginx explicitly to the provisioning script. A manual reboot of the VM is still required part way through the provisioning, so we need to either work our way around this or run the provisioning in two phases.
  • Emails sent to cip-dev to keep the kernel-ci provisioning issue #139 still in focus.
  • Successful run of BBB health check with result going to email list.
  • Returned from vacation!

toscalix

  • Tech weekly meeting
    • Sync up with Daniel S.
    • Renesas Board with LAVA will require a relay.
    • General agreement on the release schedule.
  • Created the main task to track the release schedule.
    • Working on creating all the tasks to track the complete release process.
  • Requested Ben H. to prioritise the cip kernel release including the Renesas board support so Daniel S. and the CIP testing project arrive on time to ELCE to use the board.
  • Suggested Daniel W. to use gitlab or what Ben H. is doing.
  • Finished documentation task from the release process.

Wednesday 2017/10/04

rajm

  • On vacation

toscalix

  • Preparation of the ELCE activities
    • Added CIP devs meting content in the ELCE activities wiki page.
    • Several short actions
  • Analysis of the release schedule.

Tuesday 2017/10/03

rajm

  • On vacation

toscalix

  • Pinged Members so they join the CIP activities at ELCE.
  • Added the first three confirmed people to the B@D 101 training session.

Monday 2017/10/02

rajm

  • On vacation

toscalix

  • Added content to the TSC bi-weekly call agenda
  • Working on the mail report weeks 38 and 39
    • Report sent to ip-dev mailing list.
  • Added Daniel S. to the list of CIP S3 admins.
  • Attended to the TSC bi-weekly meeting.
  • Proposed an action plan for the CIP developers meeting to Members.
  • Daniel needs to know when will he have available LAVA 2017.07 so he integrates it in Project-X

September

Friday 2017/09/29

rajm

  • On vacation

toscalix

  • Room for the CIP workshop confirmed: Athens. Communicated through the cip-dev ML
  • Created a task to review the licenses, based on the guide done by the Commons Conservacy and now donated to the OpenChain project.

Thursday 2017/09/28

rajm

  • On vacation

toscalix

  • Completed the information about the B@D 101 training session on the CIP workshop wiki page.
    • Sent the call for registration to the cip-dev and cip-members mailing list
    • Asked Annie about the room name where the workshop will take place.
  • Pending a meeting to clarify the workshop set up to the Linux Foundation so the room is prepared as well as the material.
  • Requested to CIP Members potential topics for the CIP Kernel Maintenance Q&A Session through a mail to the cip-dev mailing list. I will also ask in the open mailing list in a couple of days.
  • Managing the Y2038 meeting at ELCE
  • Managing the CIP developers meeting and CIP kernel maintenance meeting. Sent info to Daniel Wagner from Siemens so he attends.

Wednesday 2017/09/27

rajm

  • On vacation

toscalix

  • Provided some support through mailing lists.

Tuesday 2017/09/26

rajm

  • On vacation

toscalix

Mondayday 2017/09/25

rajm

  • On vacation

toscalix

Friday 2017/09/22

rajm

  • Merged the initramfs branch and closed #56, #111 and #136.
  • Pushed fix-new-kernelci as an approach to solving the kernelci issue, still hangs at the listening on port 8888 in install_backend.sh and needs a manual vm restart. But once that's done the rest of the kernelci provisioning works.
  • I will be on holiday from this weekend for just over a week.
  • Reviewed MR for initramfs and cleaned up a comment in the local test script.
  • Pushed new initramfs changes to my add-initramfs branch.
  • Ran 2 successful BBB health checks one with the linaro initramfs one with the one built locally yesterday. The local one runs around 35 seconds faster.

toscalix

Thursday 2017/09/21

rajm

  • Altered PS1 within the initramfs as dropping to shell and that initramfs allows the test to run.
  • Pushed updates to the initramfs script as suggested by Ben, also hard coding the ALERT message in my add-initramfs branch.
  • Successful run of BBB health check with result going to email list.
  • ALERT message inserted, it is recognised by LAVA but I then get another timeout. Checking what the init in the linaro version does as it doesn't produce an ALERT but Ben's issue #56 is probably pertinent.

toscalix

Wednesday 2017/09/20

rajm

  • Discussion with Ben on initramfs, will make sure that out version prints out the ALERT message that LAVA is looking for.
  • Merge request !44 approved and merged, the corresponding issue #99 has also been closed.
  • Still having problems with a fresh provision, nothing listening on port 8888 until I reboot the VM and issues with the nginx install completion.
  • Successful run of BBB health check with result going to email list.
  • Though the backend provision hangs when the script tries to check for a listener on port 8888 - it isn't there.
  • Reopened #99 as MR!44 is associated with it. Lachlan approved the MR and I have merged and closed the issue.
  • Looks as if a fix to the kernelci backend population problems is another case, like in the front end, of the first ansible run failing and a repeat run works.

toscalix

Tuesday 2017/09/19

rajm

  • Lachlan has approved MR 43 so I've merged it and closed #84 and #115 - this is the LAVA2017-7 update.
  • I tried creating a new instance and am having problems do to a recent change and the introduction of storage_certname which then requires other consequential changes.
  • 1-1 with Agustin.
  • Successful run of BBB health check with result going to email list.

toscalix

Monday 2017/09/18

rajm

  • Created fix-lava-source with a view to a MR for #133
  • I've closed #129 the user needs to set up a local build.
  • Tried a wifi, with BBB connected directly to laptop - still failures, DHCP issue needs resolution. The solution is not IMHO to run a DHCP server on the laptop as that would involve - at ELC-E - all the participants needing that setting up.
  • Successful run of BBB health check with result going to email list.

toscalix

  • Confirmed schedule for ELCE:
    • Kernel maintenance meeting
    • y2038 meeting. arnd confirmed his presence.
    • B@D 101 training session
    • Kernel maintenance Q&A
  • Report weeks 36 and 37 done and sent to cip-dev mailing list.
    • @rajm, does the project journal work for this particular usage?
  • TSC bi-weekly call.
    • I have a couple of extra tasks on my plate now.
    • Approval for the expenses for the training session.
    • Green light to advertise the workshop activities. Call for participation.

Friday 2017/09/15

rajm

  • Updated #120 - as it will be fixed by the new release.
  • Still no success with a local initramfs - we need assistance here if this is going to proceed.
  • Successful run of BBB health check with result going to email list.

toscalix

Thursday 2017/09/14

rajm

  • Removed requirement for a new wiki page for report format from #114 - at this point the report is going to be simple. Also revisited the release procedure issue #75
  • Tried more options to avoid errors in the init in initramfs but this is unlikely to be the core issue #136.
  • #help discussion has made the issue clearer but not given a resolution.
  • Successful run of BBB health check with result going to email list.
  • Question placed in codethink's #help re initramfs issue.

toscalix

Wednesday 2017/09/13

rajm

  • Successful run of BBB health check with result going to email list
  • Asked in #linaro-lava for any additional insight on the notifications without any comeback.
  • Tried various options mainly in respect of init for the initramfs issue without getting any to work, tried using the init from the linaro one but that seems tied to the file system in that initramfs.cpio.gz. I'll ask in codethink's #help tomorrow.

toscalix

Tuesday 2017/09/12

rajm

  • Tried notification callbacks with POST on a lava-tool test see notifications for documentation. Not sure that it gives the information promised - log files? - but will investigate further.
  • Ran lava-tool test on BBB successfully (host on the home wifi) - not sure why it failed on 4th Sept! But this appears to have resolved.
  • Gave more suggestions to Daniel on lava-users list.

toscalix

Monday 2017/09/11

rajm

  • Team meeting (face to face)
  • I've closed #127 the 'failure to provision due to an error in kernelci-backend' as a fresh install works here.
  • Now running tests on laptop connected only via wifi successfully - in contradiction to tests on 2017/09/06 I don't think anything has changed?
  • Created MR 45 for issue #138.
  • Emailed lava-users as a result of seeing Daniel Sangorrin's wish to move to LAVA 2017-7.

toscalix

Friday 2017/09/08

rajm

  • I've removed everything but the connect_command and extends from the device dictionary and the check still runs, so I've added an issue #138
  • Runs successful healthcheck which goes to list after 3 failures
  • I've also noted that the device dictionary only needs the extends and the connection_command - the other commands were invalid and therefore weren't used!

toscalix

Thursday 2017/09/07

rajm

  • On holiday!

toscalix

Wednesday 2017/09/06

rajm

  • Tried various suggestions on the BBB test from Neil Williams but am still not getting a successful test.
  • 1-1 meeting.
  • Discussion with Jan-Simon about notifications and updated issues with the new #137
  • Sent description of initramfs issue #136 to lava-users and response from Neil Williams.
  • Attempted a health check across wifi - added wifi bbb device with data dictionary specifying the correct ip address - this works if bridging to eth0 but not to wifi?
  • Added point to #114 so that the wiki gets an update once the 2017 upgrade is complete describing the report format.

toscalix

Tuesday 2017/09/05

rajm

  • Team meeting
  • Ran successful BBB health check (LAVA 2017).
  • Updated #136 with comparison of working/non working initramfs output.
  • Still looking at initramfs

toscalix

  • Codethink CIP team meeting to sync up
    • Updated the team about the TSC bi-weekly call.

Monday 2017/09/04

rajm

  • Ran BBB health check from home with laptop on wifi - it failed I need to diagnose this.
  • Ran successful BBB health check once in Codethink offices
  • Replied to Daniel Sangorrin'e email about ser2net.
  • Will update various merge requests and get them moving!
  • Checked out the week 34/35 report.
  • Confirmed that a health check also fails at Codethink when the laptop is on wifi.
  • Replaced MR 34 with MR 44

toscalix

  • TSC bi-weely call
    • Updated the minutes
    • Provided reports about CIP testing.
    • Progress in the meetings organizations at ELCE.
  • Created and sent the week 34 and 35 report

Friday 2017/09/01

rajm

  • Runs BBB health check with 2017-7 - succeeds - on second attempt and is emailed to list.
  • Created #136 to cover the initramfs issue, locally built ones that worked with 2016-12 fail with 2017-7.
  • Updated #115 and #84 to 'Doing' as they're part of #114.

toscalix

  • ELCE prepaprations. Y2038 and maintainers meeting

August

Thursday 2017/08/31

rajm

  • Tech weekly meeting - discussed the changes made to get the BBB health check to work with LAVA 2017
  • Updated VM (with 2017) so that emails can be sent to the list - amended the health check so that this happens.
  • Looking at the current requirement within the health check for ethernet connectivity - if this were not necessary then the ELC-E workshop setup would be easier.
  • Added Merge request 43 for the update to 2017
  • Tried various options for getting a locally built initramfs to HC correctly without success (tried 1.27.2 rather than 1.26.2 and sleeping in init to slow it down).
  • The LAVA Help suggests that DHCP is necessary which is at least an initial problem to getting a BBB without ethernet to HC.

toscalix

  • Who is available on Monday Oct 23rd for the Y2038 meeting?
  • Tech weekly meeting
    • Provided an overview of the situation now that AGL is investing in a lab in a box concept.
    • I will attend to AGL AMM so I will talk there with the developers to understand what they are doing and how we can collaborate.
    • I need to define the coming release schedule.
    • Considerations about the technical set up for the B@D 101 training session
    • Content for the kernel maintenance activity?

Wednesday 2017/08/30

rajm

  • Ran daily health check on BBB and email sent to testing list.
  • Tried 2017 with the health check off the Linaro site also failed but slightly differently.
  • Adjusted the health check slightly and have it completing ok under 2017, checked in the check and pushed to the development branch. Updated #114 and will look to setting up email tomorrow so they get reported to the list.
  • I'm still having problems with a locally built initramfs with 2017 and for the moment am using the one off the linaro website (but put on the local webserver just for comparison).

toscalix

  • Trying to organise several CIP meetings at ELCE: kernel maintenance and Y2038

Tuesday 2017/08/29

rajm

  • Worked with Agustin on the AGL CIAT slides and meeting (see below).
  • Submitted query about a broken link in LAVA web page and was pointed to a configuration - opened #133
  • Closed #99 and #128 having merged MR !42
  • Still exploring the problems with the LAVA 2017-7 upgrade

toscalix

  • Working on the slides for the AGL CIAT meeting
    • Slides added to the CIP and AGL wikies.
  • Meeting took place. Robert and I introduced B@D. Bad sound quality most of the meeting.
    • Reported about it to cip-dev mailing list
    • Sent a mail to Kevin Hilman to meet him at AGL AMM.
  • team meeting: sync up with rajm.
  • Following AGL CIAT tickets related with “lab in a box”.

Lunes 2017/08/28

rajm

  • UK public holiday

toscalix

  • Organising a meeting with Arnd Bergmann to talk about Y2038 at ELCE. We have a room for the meeting.

Viernes 2017/08/25

rajm

  • Preparing project summary for next week's call.
  • More investigation of LAVA 2017-7 upgrade problems.

toscalix

  • Solved the escalations for the journal. Added them to the ground rules.
  • Organising the B@D training session. Network cables question.

Thursday 2017/08/24

toscalix

  • Moved management wiki page.
  • Created journal ground rules.
  • Moved journal wiki page.
  • Created journal wiki page

Journal Ground Rules

Project journal ground rules:

  • In this case the entries will be structured first by month, then by date and finally by contributor.
  • You decide what kind of information you should publish.
  • Assuming that it is public, add what you think is :
    • Relevant to you.
    • Relevant to your peers.
    • Relevant to those you interact with like, managers, other teams, Members, etc.
  • The latest entries should be on top (ascending order).
  • Be concise.
  • Use links to tasks, commits, web pages, etc. as much as you can. This is not about duplicating the information but about providing context.
  • Read the journal every day (ideally). Does it reflect the most relevant work you have done today?
  • As guidance, include an entry every couple of hours of work and every time you accomplished something or a relevant event has taking place.
  • Assume that your colleagues read the journal regularly. Add information of potential interest for them but remember that the main focus of the journal is the answer to the question: what am I doing? Write for yourself first.
  • Agree with your colleagues on the tags to be used to provide further context to entries. Examples:
    • Escalations:
      • Blue to solved or stalled issues

      • Amber for topics that require attention

      • Red for critical issues

    • User ID to call the attention of a colleague.
    • #milestone to structure the information based on delivery timeline.
  • Activity reports should be extracted from the journal so, ideally, no need to ping colleagues to create a report should be required. This is a sign of the correct usage of the journal.
  • Standup meetings should not be any more about what I did (reporting) but about discussions. The time that a distributed team gets together is precious, do not waste it talking about something you can read ahead of the meeting.
  • Do not add anything that you would not like others to know. Use common sense.
    • The journal is not designed to substitute 1:1's, private reporting nor conversations.

Agustin Benito Bethencourt 2017/08/24

civilinfrastructureplatform/ciptesting/journal.txt · Last modified: 2017/11/17 11:39 by Agustin Benito Bethencourt